Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)

I need help...

I'm in a bit of a grey area! I'm heavily pregnant and suffering from SPD (a condition that affects the hips) I am now unable to drive at all but two weeks ago I was photographed in a disabled bay in a private car park. I would never normally use these bays as I feel strongly that they are a requirement for the people that need them, however, the week before I had to wait 2 hours for the driver parked next to me to return to his vehicle as I couldn't open my door wide enough to access my vehicle. Before parking there I drove around the car park looking for an end space so that I wouldn't have to use the disabled bay but there were none vacant, as there were no mother and baby spaces either I felt I had no other choice.

I was under the impression that disabled parking bays in private car parks were advisory only but I have received a parking charge from UKPC of £45 going up to £90 if not paid within 14 days.

Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment.

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    It seems lots of people aren't happy with the way this company operates .Have a look on this web site ....The thread is under the big advert..it is another site a bit like Money saving expert.The link is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-wardens/63235-ukpc-parking-fine.html
    It seems threatening people is a tactic they employ as a first response .
    It may take some reading ,but should either empower or enlighten you ...
    It does seem ignoring their threats ..although worrying, may be the simplest way of not paying ...good luck
    If you want to phone them ..They won't want you doing this ..The number with a person on the end is here.

UKPC'S NUMBER?
    iTS 08702283344
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    I need help...

I was under the impression that disabled parking bays in private car parks were advisory only but I have received a parking charge from UKPC of £45 going up to £90 if not paid within 14 days.

If they request that disabled badges are to be on display and you do not have one then unfortunately you should not have used a disabled bay. could you not get a temporary parking badge from the council? I know some councils will issue them.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hapless wrote: »
    If they request that disabled badges are to be on display and you do not have one then unfortunately you should not have used a disabled bay. could you not get a temporary parking badge from the council? I know some councils will issue them.

This is irrelevant in a private car park. OP, I have replied to your thread in the other forum.

DO NOT PAY!!!!!!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=22678&hl=ukpc
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    This is irrelevant in a private car park. OP, I have replied to your thread in the other forum.

DO NOT PAY!!!!!!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=22678&hl=ukpc

If the sign says disabled badges must be shown then the reply was not irrelevant.
    I am fed up with people abusing blue badge parking bays in public and private car parks!
    Don't park in disabled bays if you do not have a legal blue badge...simple enough for you sarahg1969???????
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment

Are you registered disabled? If not then you shouldnt have parked in a space.

With reference to people telling you not to pay- wake up and smell the coffee. Your in the wrong, you shouldnt be parking in the wrong bay
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Are you registered disabled? If not then you shouldnt have parked in a space.

With reference to people telling you not to pay- wake up and smell the coffee. Your in the wrong, you shouldnt be parking in the wrong bay

The parking in a disabled spot is not the issue .
    The question of whether a penalty can be charged by a private company on private land is the point we are adressing ...It seems this company is not prepared to fight in court the legality of this ..Although it seems to be quite happy to use it's debt collection subsiduary to threaten law abiding folk with County court and debt colllectors.
    All we are advising is give it back to them ..Let them take you to court ...The very threat they make is it seems the very thing they won't do ..they are breaking the law not you ...
  • No, no, no, you should not pay.

You should not have parked in the space, and if this were a council car park, then you would be bang to rights, I'm afraid.

But the issue of the blue badge is irrelevant, as you have not been fined. You have received an invoice for the alleged breach of a purported contract between you and the owners of the car park.

I can't understand why anyone would think you should pay these people some money for nothing. They have lost nothing, so you owe them nothing.

I can see that the matter of disabled spaces is a very emotive one, but I still don't see the reason for anyone telling you to accept your "punishment". Why, oh why, would you want to send money to a private company that makes money out of this kind of thing - they don't do it as a service to the public - it is a money-making business.

If you've got a spare £90 knocking about, PM me and I'll tell you my address - I'll have it.

What you need to do is to go to pepipoo.com and look on there. They will confirm for you that you HAVE NOT BEEN FINED. It really is that simple.

Sarah
  • my daughter parked on a pub car park and ran into a shop oppisite to get change for the machine, she was gone 5mins max, on her return she had a ticket for £90, no less if you pay early. she was so upset she came straight home, we appealed in writing right away, and recieved a reply of "appeal denied please pay £90 immediatly" . that was all we recieved any one with advise of what to do next would be grateful
    thanks
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A pity she bothered to appeal. They never, ever accept any appeal. why should they, all they want is her cash. If you go to the pepipoo website and ask the same as above they will help and reassure you both.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I need help...

I'm in a bit of a grey area! I'm heavily pregnant and suffering from SPD (a condition that affects the hips) I am now unable to drive at all but two weeks ago I was photographed in a disabled bay in a private car park. I would never normally use these bays as I feel strongly that they are a requirement for the people that need them, however, the week before I had to wait 2 hours for the driver parked next to me to return to his vehicle as I couldn't open my door wide enough to access my vehicle. Before parking there I drove around the car park looking for an end space so that I wouldn't have to use the disabled bay but there were none vacant, as there were no mother and baby spaces either I felt I had no other choice.

Should I dispute this? I can of course provide a medical certificate to my condition and my numerous referrals to physiotherapy and proof of my chiropracty treatment.

To park in a disabled bay where ever it is you need to display a blue disabled badge. If you are disabled maybe you should apply for DLA and in particular the mobility part of it.

If the appeal to the company has failed then contact the national parking appeals people and appeal to them stating the reasons why you were parked in a disabled bay - they may take note of your medical condition.

Anyway, there should be signs in place saying clampers at work - people have a right to employ the services of a clamping company if they are troubled by people parking without paying. If there are no signs, speak to your trading standards dept.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure