PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money laundering checks

Im in the process of buying a house in Scotland and my solicitor needs to do the money laundering checks.

How are these checks carried out??

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Posts: 559 Forumite
    In my case the deposit was from a house sale so the path from solicitor to bank was very clear and is sorted quickly. If a large sum of cash 'appears' in your bank they will want to know where it came from and trace its paper trail to a satisfactory source. If your deposit is a suitcase full of used tenners it may take a it longer.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,691
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    kyleporter wrote: »
    Im in the process of buying a house in Scotland and my solicitor needs to do the money laundering checks.

How are these checks carried out??
    Are these checks on the source of your deposit, or checks on your identity?

Both can be required to satisfy the Money Laundering Regulations.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Checks on your identity will require you to produce some photographic evidence like a driving licence or a passport.

Checks on the money are a little harder, but essentially, they just want to know that the money came to you legitimately and that someone somewhere gave the government their cut along the way. It's nothing to do with 'money laundering', that's just what they tell the hoi poloi.

They'll also do a bankruptcy check on you at some point. Gave me a heart attack because there is someone out there with the same name and date or birth as me. Thankfully, she lives in Liverpool, but it caused a few moments of panic until the solicitor did some other check and confirmed my explanation.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • maryroberts
    maryroberts Posts: 265
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    My solicitor asked to see my passport (sent original by Special Delivery as not near office), and a copy of my bank statement showing when & where the lump sum came from. In my case it was from a property sale abroad and was a bit complicated on paper as 2 transfers were involved from foreign accounts. I explained the whole situation and my solicitor was absolutely fine with this. I expected to be asked for even more documents, such as the house sale contract, which is in Greek.... but this wasn't necessary.

Therefore I would say don't worry - as long as you can show the funds entering your bank statement (not cash!) you should be fine!
  • kyleporter
    kyleporter Posts: 36 Forumite
    The problem I think might come up is I was gifted the deposit from my uncle and he just gave me a cheque that shows as 10000 goin into my account
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The problem I think might come up is I was gifted the deposit from my uncle and he just gave me a cheque that shows as 10000 goin into my account

Our deposit was a combination of wedding present money, and a gift from the in-laws - it didn't raise any issues on the checks and that was only a year and a bit ago.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • norbet
    norbet Posts: 134 Forumite
    This Money Laundering requirement has me extremely worried too as I really can't see how we can demonstrate where our deposit is coming from without providing bank statements for the last six years or so.
    All but 5k of our 24k deposit is from savings over time from various accounts, some of which have since been closed. We also have a £5k "gift" from my father, will we need to prove up how he's accumulated the £5k? We've asked our solictor how we need to prove how our deposit has been sourced, but I fear it may be very difficult.
    It all seems incredibly invasive.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    norbet wrote: »
    This Money Laundering requirement has me extremely worried too as I really can't see how we can demonstrate where our deposit is coming from without providing bank statements for the last six years or so.
    All but 5k of our 24k deposit is from savings over time from various accounts, some of which have since been closed. We also have a £5k "gift" from my father, will we need to prove up how he's accumulated the £5k? We've asked our solictor how we need to prove how our deposit has been sourced, but I fear it may be very difficult.
    It all seems incredibly invasive.

I doubt you will have a problem with this at all and I really wouldn't worry. Your father might need to sign that the money is indeed a gift tho.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    i wrote it all down on the back of an envelope where it has come from and how and she said that was fine (as i thought i'd need to write it on proper paper, but she just stapled the envelope to my paperwork side.) Also had to show bank statements, Wage slip and passport to prove it is actually me (bit like when applying for jobs, but spending money instead)
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Part of our deposit was a gift from parents. They had to write a letter to the solicitor saying that it was a gift, not a loan. Well, I wrote the letter - they signed it and posted it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure