Cost Of Downstairs Bathroom

Anyone got any ideas as to how much it roughly costs to have a downstairs bathroom installed?

Comments

• the_boyo
    the_boyo Posts: 8 Forumite
    My brother has just replaced his tiny downstairs bathroom himself because he had 3 quotes all over £5k (floor, tiling, bath with shower over, sink & toilet).
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Depends what you want, im about to change a downstairs cupboard into a downstairs toilet, but im going to have a sani flow put in, linked to the waste from the upstairs toilet, as this will be a lot cheaper than having new waste put in. Luckily, i have a friend who can do it for me, so will cost about £500 for everything (which includes making a cupboard for the gas meter, putting in a fan light for ventilation, tiling, the toilet, sani flow and basin etc) which i think is very good, how much a professional would charge, im not sure.
    Mind you, if you are after a shower and/or bath as well, then you would have to have proper drainage, so would cost a few thousand!!!
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,446
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the_boyo wrote:
    My brother has just replaced his tiny downstairs bathroom himself because he had 3 quotes all over £5k (floor, tiling, bath with shower over, sink & toilet).

Goodness that's high. Friends of mine have just had a large bathroom replaced (includering replastering of walls and seperate shower unit) for jst under £3,500. This also included wall and floor tiling - one wall was painted.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £84/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • star1_2
    star1_2 Posts: 424 Forumite
    SID wrote:
    Anyone got any ideas as to how much it roughly costs to have a downstairs bathroom installed?

To give an indication on price, and accurate assessment of what would need to be done to install a bathroom - you would need to advise of the following?

- Is this a replacement or a new / additional bathroom?
    - Is the room existing? or does it need to be constructed in a corridor/garage or part of another room?
    - Is there suitable drainage in or adaject to the room on the side where the toilet/bath/sink are to be installed, or does a device such as a sani-flow need to be considered?
    - Is there existing plumbing (hot and Cold) in the room, or adjacet to the room? and is this suitable pipe size to serve the toilet/sink/bath?
    - Is the existing hot water supply (combi or tank) suffiencient to suppot an additional bathroom (ie. is there enough storred water etc)? or do tanks need to be enlarged, or a larger/more powerful combi installed?
    - Is there a window, outside wall - to allow for install of an event/fan? or where/how will it be ducted, to prevent buildup of steam/conndensation/mould.

As you can see - a number of factors that need to be considered before just going ahead and installing a bathroom, and some these can increase the cost significantly .... If you're able to answer these - it will help with providing you with a more accurate "ball-park figure" ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure