Where can a pensioner get a cheap(recommended) boiler repair

My Mum's (a penioner) boiler has gone on the blink.Scottish Gas came out and quoted her £175 for the repair. Does anybody know of any companies who are reputable in Scotland and may be able to offer competitive quotes for repairs? She was with staywarm but I don't think she's entitled to a cheap repair

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I've just had some work done thru Age Concern, government aided. They didn't want to know my income or savings, totally free.
    Something to do with helping oldies to stay in their own homes.
    Maybe they don't do heating repairs, not sure, but savings in other directions could help your mum pay to mend the boiler.
    Staywarm is an expensive tariff.
  • I know they do have vetted tradesman do age concern. I think they do charge but very reasonable charges, not sure on big jobs but I know they do little jobs as I had relative had some work done last year
  • Just found this on one Age concern web site

Tradesman's List

We have a list of qualified plumbers, electricians and other tradesman who are willing to carry out larger projects.

http://www.trustmark.org.uk/

The link above may find local tradesman near you
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 October 2009 at 8:40AM
    Don't know if it's the same in Scotland but down here people on benefits can get help for heating and insulation through Warmfront, If your Mum had her heating fitted by these sone years ago she may not have used all her grant so maybe entitled to a top-up for a repair or even a new boiler if she is without heat.

Just found the warmfront phone number
    0800 316 6011
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Not sure if its still going or not but try E.on if your still with them, ask to be put through to the CaringEnergy team. They have (if there still going) a grant scheme that may pay for repairs on your boiler.

Sure they can give you more information if you ring them. (between 9-5 though as that team only works those hours).
  • barrymung
    barrymung Posts: 638 Forumite
    Hi

They quoted £175 for what exactly?

If they have itemised their quote, post the details and I'm sure MSE regulars will let you know if it's reasonable or not..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure