PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

raspberry plants...why are just some of them yellow?

Options
This has got me stumped - I know that someone will know the answer to this

I have a row of 8 autumn fruiting raspberry canes along the longest side of the greenhouse (outside, in the soil) 6 of them are big and green leaved, the 2 at the end of the row look very sickly with yellowing leaves, if this is a soil deficiency why is it just 2 plants that are affected and are there any remedies?
Thanks

Comments

• JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi AT.....i dont know why sorry but i did want to ask you a question.......when can i buy raspberry plants for fruiting next year and where is a good place to get them? do they fruit in the first year and can i plant them in pots???? um lol soz that was 4 questions!!!!!! hope you can help me JD
    November NSD's - 7
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Hi Jamie - I bought mine from Ken Muir, by post. They have a wonderful stock of fruit trees and plants. I seem to remember mine being delivered in december (this is about 3 years ago now) to plant while they were just dead looking sticks, I got no more than 1 or 2 fruit of each cane and it's been building up since....apart from these 2 end plants! Not sure about the pots though, maybe someone else will know that one.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is it they are being sorched by the sun. Are the others getting more shade.

Otherwise no idea.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    It could be an acid deficiency in the soil, try watering them with watered down cold tea....... sounds daft I know, but I think rasps like a slightly acidic soil. and yes you can grow them in pots, but you must cut out the fruited stems each year and you will need to train the shoots onto a fan of some description by tying them in, they will fruit the first year but need feeding and the amount of fruit will build up over the years, look on Ken Muirs site and see if there are any he recommends for growing in pots.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I've just had a re-think and a bit of a brainwave. The ones that look sick are near the guttering of the greenhouse, many years ago I used to clean the outside glass with Jeyes fluid, could this have contaminated the soil as it will have run off on this side?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It could have done, I have no idea how long it would last in the soil though. I think jeyes is alkaline isn't it? So the tea suggestion would be a very good idea if so. I didn't know Ken Muir had a site - isn't there anything on there that could help?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I didn't know Ken Muir had a site

Now you do surprise me - you know every website that was ever written!

I'll see if theres a problem page but I think that it must be the Jeyes that's done the damage
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now you do surprise me - you know every website that was ever written!
    Heck no! I'm just getting a whole lot better at using search engines. I used to be the worst searcher on the planet. Now I've improved a bit and am probably only the second worst now :)

Good luck with your own search, but the one thing you really need to do is find out if Jeyes is alkaline or acid so you can counter it. And the other one thing you need to do is try to find out how persistent it is in the ground. And another one thing you might care to look into is digging them up, shifting that soil out, and then putting them back. If they'll accept being mucked about - which is a nuther one thing you might need to know. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can dig them up and shift them but not until the autumn, cut out any stems that have had fruit on them, the new growth will fruit next year, you can tell the difference because its green where as the stems that have had fruit on this year will be brown.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Thanks both of you - now that it seems pretty obvious that the soil is contaminated I will have to take your advice and either move them or change the soil, I like them where they are because they make a nice screen for the greenhouse, so another question has arisen - if I swap the soil with some from elsewhere, is this contaminated soil going to do more damage if I put it where I got the good soil from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure