PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Halifax: House prices 'to remain flat next year'

"House prices are likely to remain steady throughout 2013, following an annual drop of 1.3% reported today..."
Read the full story:

Halifax: House prices 'to remain flat next year'

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Comments

• brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    More likely house prices to continue falling next year. Even with record low interest rates, money for lending scheme and Newbuy they are falling. You can't keep interest rates low for ever, they will go up as our credit rating is down graded and our gilt market explodes Also the foreign buyers in London are drying up now, the final housing bubble prop is falling away..
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    brit1234 wrote: »
    More likely house prices to continue falling next year. Even with record low interest rates, money for lending scheme and Newbuy they are falling. You can't keep interest rates low for ever, they will go up as our credit rating is down graded and our gilt market explodes Also the foreign buyers in London are drying up now, the final housing bubble prop is falling away..

I am absolutely sure this is the case in many areas, and instead of houses selling quickly it is slower but still in some areas prices continue to rise and competition for good houses remains strong. I have made sensible offers on quite a few houses in the last few months and have refused to go higher than my opinion of worth and been beaten on all of them!!

So I agree and disagree
  • brit1234 wrote: »

Let's say then that they will keep the interest rates low and I mean the BoE rates of 0.5% for the next 4 years.
    Now it would appear that the banks, buildings societies and other lending groups aren't passing this onto the houses buyers because the best borrowing rates are between 3 and 6 per cent and longer term fixed are more. Savers and investors also aren't making much either so it is holding up house prices.
    (This I believe the government has designed and it thinks will re build the banks cash assets).

However...
    I know a lot of savers are considering moving their money over to the peer to peer savings and lending companies or at least some of it.... could it be that the banks start to lose liquid capital that they have to such organistions and become more unstable as a result?

The low BoE rates must be eroding the true value of the £ also and obviously the real government reserves ....

Regarding houses and property..
    Traditional would be buyers simply often aren't earning enough to buy even a 1 bed flat and as the government continues to co-erce people into low paying part-time temporary jobs with little prospect of ever escaping the poverty trap.

What chance will these workers have of buying and owning?

And I'm talking about the bulk of bread and butter workers - shop workers, the postmen etc etc.
    Are they destined to spend a lifetime locked into paying a crippling rent?

You will realise that in the governments pursuit of massaging the employment figures it can't mean a surge in property prices. The truth is they all have been highly overpriced for a long time...

It was only the musical chair gamble approach from the banks and building societies that let the prices go out of control..

What happened generational mortgages where your children were to supposedly continue on paying mortgages ... they did actually cook up this daft scheme just before the American banks collapses and Northern Rock..?

Truth is no one really knows what will happen...

But how can someone working on the till at Tesco's ever buy a studio flat that is selling for £4 million which is what the people thinking the house prices are going to "surge" inexorably upwards in the 5 years believe if you apply their (il)logical conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure