Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair?

Options
2»

Comments

• colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Get your friendly local independent to do it. Simple, quick and easy job and much cheaper than you've been quoted.
  • jimnastics
    Options
    Thanks chaps, a local indie quoted £170 for both, so it's booked in for Monday :) Here's another question... what's the best way to get the car to the garage, considering it's completely not driveable with the wheel arch having collapsed onto the tyre? I am an RAC member, do they deal with these sorts of things?
  • Rochdale_Guy
    Rochdale_Guy Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Options
    Is this what I've suffered then with my 2004 Fiesta, but only "milder"? I have no burst tyres or collapsed arches...

Here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3196834
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    jimnastics wrote: »
    However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs
    chuffin ell. My local Ford dealer would be under £200.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    jimnastics wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same problem as the original poster. My front left suspension spring has gone, luckily it must have gone overnight rather than whilst driving... the tyre looks fine. However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs :( Seems to me to be pretty excessive, though I guess you expect that from a dealer. Is this way too much? Should I be phoning around local independant garages for quotes?

Almost invariably they go on the drive or in a car park. IE, when making large steering changes and when cold as the steel is more brittle then.
    I picked up a car for a friend only 3 weeks ago, drove it back 60 miles and parked it in his drive. He went to fill the tank the next day and the spring snapped on the drive:eek:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • tillycat123
    tillycat123 Posts: 971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had this happen to my smart car a few weeks ago. Small garage quoted £100 to replace and labour, then decided when it was up on the ramp it need new disc breaks and pads. Cost me nearly £400 to get fixed.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    £400?

That's more than I would pay for a whole car!

why are Ford springs breaking so frequently?

Last time I had a spring break, it was the [2nd] wife's Renault five..I happened to climb in behind the wheel and boinnnng, it went.

Easy to replace, being a torsion bar...but what was not so easy to live with was the grief I got from the family!
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    new disc brakes and pads.

in a way, perhaps a blessing?

They would only have needed replacing a short while later..or at MoT time...
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure