Norfrost Freezer - Cheap & Cheerful or Cheap & Nasty?

Options
I'm looking for a medium sized chest freezer and found two Efficiency 'A' models of similar size. One is a Norfrost (C6AEW) for £139 + del and the other is a Hotpoint (RC32P) £184 plus del.

Are Norfrost freezer's any good? Curry's doesn't show warranty details but other sites show it as only 1 year parts & Labour. The Hotpoint has a 5 year parts and 1 year labour warranty.

IS the Norfrost worth a gamble, with delivery it's coming out at £60 cheaper than the Hotopint.

Which should I get? 5 votes

Norfrost
80%
Liz19coffeeandfagsBobRobUKpaul_h 4 votes
Hotpoint
20%
GeoThermal 1 vote

Comments

• dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask how much there cover is, if its less then £60 for 5 years you might want to consider it, I have it on a laptop and its pretty decent (plus it covers parts AND labour for 5yrs unlike hotpoint)
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    Norfrost
    Definately the Norfrost!
    Ill tell you why. I bought a Norfrost chest freezer around 12 years ago from a second hand shop (so goodness knows how old it was then!), i used it myself for around 9 years then passed it to a neighbour who is still using it yet. It still looks and works as good as new!

coffeeandfags
  • pealy
    pealy Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    Definately the Norfrost!
    Ill tell you why. I bought a Norfrost chest freezer around 12 years ago from a second hand shop (so goodness knows how old it was then!), i used it myself for around 9 years then passed it to a neighbour who is still using it yet. It still looks and works as good as new!

coffeeandfags

Wow! High praise indeed.
  • dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definately the Norfrost!

coffeeandfags

Ok second thoughts forget cover :p
  • GeoThermal
    GeoThermal Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Hotpoint
    Norfrost have closed down so warranties "might" be an issue.

A couple of family members had them and both found that the hinges totally snapped off the door.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Norfrost
    Norfrost manufacture their freezers up in Caithness, Scotland, but unfortunately went into administration this year as GeoThermal says. They are one of the largest employers in the area and the only manufacturer of domestic freezers in the UK.

Although obviously made to a budget, in my experience they do seem to be reliable and I would guess from this that they must have used decent quality compressors. coffeeandfags is right - they just seem to go on and on. :D

Your 12 month warranty shouldn't be a problem as your contract is with the retailer, although spares might be if the company closes down completely.

Note that they have not closed down, they are in administration due to falling sales and competition from imported goods.

So, support UK manufacturers! :j
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Norfrost
    Oh, and I certainly wouldn't be persuaded by any 'parts only' warranty.

In many cases, using the manufacturers service, the labour ends up costing more than it would to get a non-franchised engineer to repair it, including the parts.
  • pealy
    Options
    paul_h wrote:
    Oh, and I certainly wouldn't be persuaded by any 'parts only' warranty.

In many cases, using the manufacturers service, the labour ends up costing more than it would to get a non-franchised engineer to repair it, including the parts.

.. I thought that looked a bit sneaky, shame on you Hotpoint
  • suzique
    suzique Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    pealy wrote:
    I'm looking for a medium sized chest freezer and found two Efficiency 'A' models of similar size. One is a Norfrost (C6AEW) for £139 + del and the other is a Hotpoint (RC32P) £184 plus del.

Are Norfrost freezer's any good? Curry's doesn't show warranty details but other sites show it as only 1 year parts & Labour. The Hotpoint has a 5 year parts and 1 year labour warranty.

IS the Norfrost worth a gamble, with delivery it's coming out at £60 cheaper than the Hotopint.
    Norfrost brilliant,I bought a chest freezer about 6 years ago,never had a days trouble with it.
  • pealy
    Options
    Sold, to the man in the black sweater..

I'm going to get a Norfrost.

Thanks everyone for your comments - what a great bunch of moneysavers you all are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure