T-mobile renewals - 37GB data use per month! (advice please)

Evening all,
I'm coming towards the end of my 12-month SIM only contract with T-mobile, which is £9.50 per month for 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.
However, they have baffled me by saying I use 37GB of data per month!! Now I use my lumia 710 to do betfair, BBC sport, a few apps, yahoo email for circa 2 hours a day - surely that can't be 37GB of data per month??!! ... Or can it?

Are they telling fibs to make me think of staying with them?
As I was thinking of going to Three or Virgin, but am worried about potentially high data costs.

T-mobile annoy me as they charge for lyca mobile calls, voicemails and 0800 calls (but don't charge extra for data).

Any advice or experiences appreciated folks ...

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2012 at 12:48AM
    By 'BBC sport', are you streaming programmes and for how many hours a week?

Surely T Mobile would have slowed or restricted your usage long before reaching that figure?
  • No, not streaming sport at all. I only watch about 10 mins of YouTube per month.
    Also, online banking, surfing, betfair, a few light apps.
    I'm very incredulous at the 37GB per month claim from t-mobile.
    Can I get them to send me a detailed breakdown of data usage?
  • Sounds like you might have some malware on your phone.
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well i am on t-mobile and i've killed there FUP off 750Mbs,so far its upto 2GB and i've had there text telling i've gone over but no slow down or restrictions,still stream video, up load and down load stuff and still hitting 20Mbs second in the right areas ,
    but 37GB do's seem a lot for a mobile ,when i watch live tv on my phone for 40 minutes a day and only hit 2gb with 4 day to go until refresh date
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• Basil1234
    Basil1234 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    sounds to me like they might be trying it to say the least, take it you told them im going to move then they come back with the line do you realise you are using 37gb a month to worry you. don't believe it myself think feeding you bull to make sure you stay.
    suggest you download a free monitor something like
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5vbmF2by5hbmRyb2lkLm9uYXZvaWQiXQ..

to find out the truth but i think i know the answer!
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know if this may be a factor, but my OH's daughter got a Lumia 710 last month on Talkmobile. For 18 months she had been using an Android with 500mb per month that she never exceeded.

Within 10 days, Talkmobile contacted her and said she had used 9gb. She swears she has not changed her usage, or added any apps.

Wonder if Windows Tango is the offender here??
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    I use my data manager on android will breakdown everything used and how much is used via mobile data, wifi or roaming.

Sounds like nonsense if you do not download movies etc.

I surf for about an hour a day using mobile data and only use on average about 300mb per month.

You could download a data app and monitor your usage over a few days and see if there is a problem
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Emy1501 wrote: »

You could download a data app and monitor your usage over a few days and see if there is a problem

Regrettably, there does not seem to be such an app for Windows 7, unlike Android that has loads.

Big omission, Microsoft and, of course, not much incentive for Windows 7 developers to write one, unless Windows 8 compatible.
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Oh didn't realise the OP had a windows phone. Yeah apps are a bit naff as my dad has the 610 and could not find any data apps and even some of the general apps are poor compared to the android version.

Windows 7 phones are not worth it unless youR not bothered about apps.
  • cgk1
    cgk1 Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Even so I have a windows phone and you'd have to go at it to get to 37gb a month, if the OPs description of their usage is about right - then they might be out by a few hundred meg but out by 30 or so gb of data? Doubtful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure