Vauxhall dealer £60+ for a new car key!!

Comments

• scotsblood
    scotsblood Posts: 101 Forumite
    cordial wrote: »
    Well, I confess I'm amazed at all the complacent comments.

I find £60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

This would only have been for the convenience and security of having a 'spare'. In the circumstances I shall be foregoing the privilege and I can easily imagine how many regard this as having to pay a ransom, in effect, if they ever DO lose their key.

I think cordial you've missed a significant point, one reason that this "key" costs so much is that its not just a key, you pointed out it also contains the immobiliser chip.

If replacements were two a penny then it would be that much easier to defeat the immobiliser systems - in most "theft" tests the door lock is easily beaten but the immobiliser is NOT!

Most opportunist thieves look for poor security, most professionals stealing high value cars to order won't risk damage so will lift/tow and deal with changing electronics later.

Till the Ford Tibbe lock keys with chips weren't widely available cars fitted with them were considered very "thief proof". As soon as the aftermarket found out how to produce and programme the keys the system became almost worthless.

If a new key costs £60 with its chip programmed to de-activate only your immobiliser then there won't be too many light fingered friends with a pocket full of keys just hoping they have the one with your code on it!

If you want cheap keys look for a low tech car with no immobiliser, its likely to cost you more to insure though as it will be easier to steal!!

The replies may have seemed complacent but costly keys are one of the prices you have to pay for additional security.
    Fiscally responsible or just a tight git? : :confused:

Lincolnshire 3.0kWp REC panels SMA 2500HF Inverter East Facing with no shade
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to work for Timpsons, and they are able to do alot of keys, but this sounds like a key that would need to be done at the dealership.

The way around the problem, sorry to say, is not to need a new key.

£60 is cheap, for a new Peugeot Key you would be looking at £120+.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good job you havent got a merc, my spare cost me £150+vat!
  • cordial wrote: »
    Well, I confess I'm amazed at all the complacent comments.

I find £60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

This would only have been for the convenience and security of having a 'spare'. In the circumstances I shall be foregoing the privilege and I can easily imagine how many regard this as having to pay a ransom, in effect, if they ever DO lose their key.

Actually modern immobiliser systems are extremely effective at stopping car theft. Have you ever taken a second to think about why car thieves go fishing for car keys through letter boxes or why when peoples homes are burgled not only does the plasma TV walk but the car goes as well? Yes that's right because on a modern car the immobiliser systems are SO good it's just way too difficult steal a newish car without its keys.

Next time you see an abandonded stolen car on the roadside you'll probably find it's older than around about P-reg (which IIRC was more or less when immobiliser systems were made compulsory).
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
  • A couple of years ago I was quoted £57 by Vauxhall for a replacement key with a built in immobiliser. I went to a local key cutter who sent away for it and charged me £25, no idea where he sent for it but all I had to do was wait a week and I saved over half the price, I would say it's well worth going to a local store and see if they can help you. Incidentally I totally agree that 60 quid is way too much for a key even if it does have a little bit of electronic gear in it. :eek: :eek:
    Education is compulsory, school is not.
    Education Otherwise
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A couple of years ago I was quoted £57 by Vauxhall for a replacement key with a built in immobiliser. I went to a local key cutter who sent away for it and charged me £25, no idea where he sent for it but all I had to do was wait a week and I saved over half the price, I would say it's well worth going to a local store and see if they can help you. Incidentally I totally agree that 60 quid is way too much for a key even if it does have a little bit of electronic gear in it. :eek: :eek:

Depends on the make of car, I know the key I got for my Honda which operates the immobiliser, the central locking and the deadlocks could only be supplied by the dealer as it had to be coded for my particular car and only Honda could supply the correct code for the chassis number.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    If you don't have the codes then that alone is normally £20.

About 6 years ago I paid around £60 and that was with the code sheet available to them. The annoying bit is that it actually takes them about 30 secs to program the new key into the car.
  • £60 is a good price for something so bespoke.

I don't see how you can possibly complain. It isn't as if they make millions of them and sell them in Tesco.
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Can you call the original vauxhall delaer (it may be in the service book or even still on the original number plates) At the time local dealers were recording the key codes at sale so they could bypass contacting VXHQ to get the code (the £20 charge). As long as you can prove to that dealer you own the car and they kept recorde you may knock £20 off the bill.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I've heard of Fiat charging £230 ish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills