White goods insurance

Is it possible to get repair/parts insurance to cover all your appliances on one policy instead of having to take out the individual extended guarantees on things like washing machines, freezers etc? ???

Comments

• Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    Hi there,

Bit of a long one this, but something that bugs me generally,…it covers a lot of aspects…here goes!

There are policies that exist to do just that you are asking, but you really have to read the small print to figure out what you can and can’t claim on and if it suits your lifestyle as such.

I personally find that the individual covers work out better, are a lot more flexible with better peace of mind, I don’t mind paying that little bit more, getting a better deal (reductions/freebies/interest free payment terms etc) and simply not having to care about items going wrong or anything.

Its always your choice, you can normally get better deals when you take them, negotiate! People often criticise the main electrical retailers, I actually agree with some of the criticisms as there are some horror stories its scary, mostly its just a dodgy sales staff chasing the money who cant be bothered, which to me is poor customer service and the individuals loss, there are a good few out there. Have a chat with the manager if that happens, point out the annoying staff and you are almost guaranteed instantly get better service straight away probably from the manager themselves if they have any sense and hopefully the annoying staff learn from it too!! :)

The covers change every now and then so simply educate yourself and look into them. Its common sense, explore all the options, learn from it. After all you are making a serious purchase, parting with good money, so look into the best protection that you will need. I personally seek Accidental and Breakdown covers that include wear and tear as it offers exactly what I want..

You need to look into each individually in pretty good detail and you will see which are the best almost instantly. People give the retailers a hard time, but they are really quite good once you build up a rapport with them you can get some sweet deals I find. At then end of the day you are paying for a service, make sure it does what you want from such a service! Freebie covers normally have limitations, look into that detail too.

There is a retailer who with their extended cover in the small print indicates it has the right to use cannibalised or refurbished parts in your repair. Pretty scary and so I avoid it completely. Others give you Accidental and theft. Theft I find is pointless, as you have home contents insurance for that anyway. Remember generally when you buy a product you are buying into the product manufacturers policy. Look into that too to see what they do and don’t do, turn around time, new replacement,…etc?

Before everyone starts spouting consumer law and rights and all that, majority of cases get thrown out at the early stages because people have ignorance of what they buy into and the policies of the products they buy into or fail to follow the manufacturers guidelines. Cases that seem to win don’t really; sometimes it’s cheaper for retailers to cough up than drag through the courts, they don’t care frankly is my guess if someone takes it that far. The media should in my opinion rarely ever be believed, often it is a one sided story which never gets a follow up. Sites like this are better for real life situations, but again a pinch of salt for caution is wise. Form your own opinions.

A retailer I have a good rapport with really does bend over backwards for me and I wish I could sing the name out loudly here, as in my opinion they deserve it, but people will always have their own stories to go on so I'll restrain on that! People often remember bad things quicker than good things, its only human. Often I have seen people shouting at staff in stores, blurting out trading standards and their all their rights, which frankly gets you nowhere. You would never get genuine help that way if you’re rude and being a know-it-all.

One last thing, I find larger products generally have a life span of around 4-7 years before you dislike or grow out of them or they simply fail you. With that in mind, I just look to protect that investment for normally just the first 3, 4 or 5 years. If it’s a large expensive item. Top end washer/dryer/FrostFree Refrigeration or TV/Plasma/LCD as a few examples I would maybe extend it for years 6 and 7 as they normally write to you offering you to do so. PC’s/DVD Recorders /Camcorders/Digital Cameras change in technology frequently so it may not be wise to extend it beyond say 5 years as your likely to want to move onto the next big thing. Think of the nature of the item and its long term usage. Weigh it all up.

Some warranties will lock the true purchase value of the product and protect that for you for the duration of the cover period. Again wise, because a £900 PC protected today would give you a very powerful £900 PC a few years from now also as it locked in the value unlike say car insurance where you always suffer value depreciation. Also, I look for rolling continuous cover for the full duration of the warranty I buy into meaning that unlike when you “write off” your car, the car insurance will terminate once a full payout is made. There is lots more to it all, refrigeration food contents protection, call out charges, remote controls (expensive!), vouchers, extended after sales service, etc…research will give you the peace of mind and the knowledge.

Buying electricals from the internet is so risky and I find it dubious. Grey market imports, missing bits, return postage costs, extended warranty exact details are difficult to establish, who do you go to for help etc… lots to it all. I prefer walking into a shop and talking out an issue and seeing it through. It’s a better service and provider for advice with the right knowledgeable staff.

These are just my opinions, and the process really works for me. Small electrical items are sometimes worth considering protecting too. I have had 4 shiny new nice good in value kettles for example in 3 years and only paid the original cost plus £11 for the 3-year cover. I don’t think twice about it, and have so far had over £140 worth of kettles!!!! Another example is that I once had a £400 (display product) costing PC replaced for a £900 unit under a warranty repair 3 years into it. Fantastic! Its how you play the system, or don’t. Its win win win for me so far and I've gained from it happily…! :D

Before someone says I work for the industry or retail, nope – I don’t, just wise with my money and want the best from what I pay for with total peace of mind... Hope my insight is a bit of an eye opener, if not, it’s always your opinion in the end!!

Lopo !
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Domestic General do it: http://www.domgen.com/Domgenhtml/Products/MAPS/FAP20200_MAPS.htm

Does anyone know of any other companies that offer either single or multi appliance insurance?
  • Norwich Union did but I cannot now find it on their website.
  • [flash=200,200][/flash]
    Does anyone know of an insurance company that insures all kitchen appliances under one policy? ??? Insuring them individually costs an arm and leg!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Norwich Union used to do this sort of cover, but I can't see it on their website any longer.

Domestic & General underwrite most of the policies sold by the retailers, and their prices online may (not sure!) be cheaper - there's certainly a 10% introductory discount.

But really, it's cheaper to put the premium money into a savings account and buy a new appliance/get it repaired yourself when it breaks down.

Things are not as unreliable as they seem.
  • duart
    duart Posts: 29 Forumite
    Try Warranty Ex who under their Home Plan will cover up to 9 kitchen appliances for breakdown at £14.99 per month but it still may be better to put this amount into a "breakdown fund" as has already been suggested.
  • charjoe
    charjoe Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi there.

Over the last few months I have bought a new microwave, dishwasher, washing machine & this week a fredge freezer.

I have not taken out any of the extended warranty options on them.

Does anyone know of a decent domestic appliance policy that will cover numerous items with one payment?

I dont want to face any big bills in the future!

Any help greatly recieved!

Kevin
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi charjoe

I have merged you threads with this one so that you may find some information to help you. As you posted 2 threads exactly the same, would you be so kind to delete the second one to assist in keeping this board tidy.

Thanks in anticipation
    savvy
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • charjoe
    charjoe Posts: 17 Forumite
    For the suggestions - putitng the money away seems like a good idea!!

Also - sorry re the double posting - the browser crashed & I used the back button,posting again. Whoops!!
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I used to have the Norwich Union Appliance breakdown cover.

It covers most goods either up to 5 years or 8 years old at a cost of about £15.00 or £20.00 per month (I think).

I cancelled it last year as originally it was only about £9.00 and most of my stuff was less than 5 years old.

My TV kept blowing up and they repaired it 5 times before giving me a replacement and I've had three DVD players replaced.

It is not worth it though as Mark says, most stuff lasts at least 3-4 years and if you can save the premiums in an account to use for that rainy day, then do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure