Am I disabled? Am I entitled to badge/benefits??

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    You can only claim DLA if you have care and/or mobility needs - a diagnosis does not mean that you can get DLA. Do you and your husband have any care or mobility needs?
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Tanya, from what you have posted here, it doesn't sound likely that you are entitled to any benefits. As your illnesses come and go it would be difficult to prove a long term need of benefit. Have you spoken to your endocrinologist regarding your thyroid/diabetic problems-have they just stated there is nothing that can be done to improve your resillience ie vitamins etc? Is your husband managing to hold down a job? Maybe you could go to a welfare advisor to discuss whether there is anything you haven't thought of?
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • kingfisherblue
    My son has hypothyroidism and although the diagnosis was quite recent, I have been assured that it will not affect his life if he takes his medication regularly. Websites on hypothyroidism bear this out.

Diabetes can, of course, affect people in may different ways, but DLA will still depend on care needs, not diagnosis. SuzyQ's suggestion of speaking to the endocrinologist is a good one.
  • tanyalbeck
    tanyalbeck Posts: 70 Forumite
    thanks guys!! I have had the diabetes and hypothyroid most of my life and am on the right levels of medication etc, but the effects on the body still exist and makes me more prone to being run down and catching bugs.... the hypospenism is newly diagnosed but has the same effect!! My endochronologist / GP / haematologist all confirm this. but i have no extra care needs, nor does my husband... yet!! it's just frustrating that I can be off sick for a week or 2 every month with a cold / chest infection which quickly turns to pneumonia if not not treated and rested.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    My husband has emphysema and has to be very careful to avoid infections. In your situation I would think that being a childminder was one of the least suitable jobs for you - little germ magnets that they are!
  • kingfisherblue
    My son also has problems with his chest - infections seem to come out of nowhere and can be quite severe 9including pneumonia). It might be possible for your GP or consultant to prescribe a low dose antiobiotic that you take every day, even when you are well. This can help to prevent infections taking hold.

You should also consider self help. I give my son chest physio and he has a contraption from the hospital (I think it is called an exhalator - you blow into it and this makes a ball rise. You have to keep the ball in the air for as long as possible. It helps to dislodge phlegm).

Steam inhalations can help, as can lymphatic massage to loosen mucus and prevent it settling in the lungs.

My son is now twelve, and hasn't had a hospital admission (except for planned surgery) since he was six weeks old. Even when he had pneumonia, he stayed at home. His chest consultant and his paediatrician and surgeon are amazed that he isn't hospitalised every winter, as he has so many chest infections and is high risk. Trying to prevent major infections (and I do all of the above for him) are part of my son's care needs - he can't do them himself. Cold weather is horrendous for him, and I often get very little sleep as much of his care takes palce overnight (and I defintely can't sleep when he is coughing). The above methods help to some extent thoguh, and anything is worth a try.
  • I am really confused by the governments information regarding whether or not one has a disability.

Let me explane.

I require some information on what constitutes a disability when you are 60+ and whether there is an entitlement to benefits.

There was no clear explanation so I am no wiser for having looked.

Let me explain the reason for my enquiry.

I have been diagnosed with Arthritis in my neck, (cervical spodylosis) have had treatment but it really doesn't improve. I also have a scoliosis in my spine, two discs in my lumber spine that are half the size of normal discs, consequently this condition traps the nerves leading to my right leg causing severe pain and limiting the distance i am able to walk.I also have arthritis in my hands which makes opening jars almost impossible and writing really difficult and painful. My feet are also disfigured due to this condition.

I don't tend to visit the Doctors very often preferring to try to help myself. I have been working as an activities coordinator up to 10th of Dec but have found it increasingly difficult to perform my duties so decided to retire.

What help is there out there, can anyone offer advice please.
    Many thanks, and sorry about the ramblings.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gwynevere wrote: »
    I am really confused by the governments information regarding whether or not one has a disability.

Having a disability doesn't automatically entitle you to disability benefits.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Sideways interest in this- I would never register for disability, but have been offered it- had a letter sent to me as a teenager.
    I don't consider myself disabled, and took the view that other people needed it more than I did. At most, my eye is an inconvienence.
    Still- it would have been so easy to send the form back accepting it. I wonder how many are registered disabled who don't require it? It uses up resources for those who do.
  • oldestrocker
    oldestrocker Posts: 294 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2010 at 6:11PM
    I have been diagnose with arthritis in my foot eventually after 2years or 'nothing wrong' after an x-ray 18 months ago when it was clear that the bones in my foot have disintigrated. I was then put on the waiting list for surgery & have had 1 year of pain/discomfort. My operation wacurings this week with low chances of curing my foot, at best just an improvement, at worst it will be worse than before.

I lost my job 2 months ago, mainly for not getting along with my supioriors, but maybe some resentment due to the time off I would be needing and the slight affect on my work.

I am only 21, am now on crutches for 6 weeks+ and have had part of my toe removed so will need physio.

Does this count as light disability? I am more interested in parking badge than benefits as I need to get to college and hopefully work (before my savings run out!) I can't drive for at least the 6weeks, and may have to get an automatic after that as I get pain using clutch (left foot)

I aslo have a 20month old son and he will be starting nursery/playgroup soon.

Sorry to witter on, just trying to include fact, any help would be great!:A

Hi I know it is very painful, as my wife for the past 10 years (since she was 56) has suffered from Arthritis. It affects her neck, both wrists, all fingers, both hips, both knees and most of her toes
    She is in agony daily. The GP gives her painkillers and that's it.

Put in a claim for DLA 18 months ago - turned down. Waited till she was 65 and put in a claim for AA - turned down.

The latest appeal hearing for AA, the judge wrote after he looked at the claim and said that we should get a commode downstairs (either kitchen or living room, get a stair lift installed and that she gets a wheeled trolley as a walking aid. All of those will improve her quality of life!

So she has given up. I can't see anybody getting any benefit if my wife's case is any example to go by. She can't even dress or undress herself to go to the toilet never mind get in a bath.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure