Converting a garage into a kitchen

I'm toying with the idea of converting our integral garage into a kitchen & just wondered if anyone has done this & can share any good/bad points to bear in mind.
Thanks.

Comments

• amarg
    amarg Posts: 216 Forumite
    Never done it personally, but this might give you a few pointers garage conversion
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Hi hmm no advice im afraid as we have been looking into ours for ages now and only had anglian round who said it couldnt be done but would still love to get it done..looking at our house layout a kitchen would be a fab idea for ours then make our lounge much bigger..prob with ours is it runs under the house and only has access by going outside and through the garage door so fire regs are harder..hmm you have spurred me to ring round some more people and get a deff answer..good luck x
  • lfc321
    lfc321 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    did ours last year (we knocked through between the existing kitchen and the garage to make a big kitchen/diner). Advice:

Think very carefully about what you want and draw up some plans (even if just a sketch)
    Get a good builder (not necessarily the cheapest quote)
    Talk to building regs before you start
  • gabyjane
    See the more i look at it the more i wonder why we hadnt thought of it first!..the lounge would be twice as big and could be used for the kids i mind better with more light as would have another window..the kitchen would be bigger and i bet now the builders say no grr great idea there though!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    be very aware that you may affect the resale value of your home. a garage is a big selling point in most homes.
    id be very loath to buy a house with no garage. or no space to build one.
    Get some gorm.
  • tip
    Take the car out first....!!! thats if you can get the car in the garage in the first place.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is the garage near to the existing kitchen and the soil pipes outside? It's very difficult to run drains across a long distance. Not impossible but it can be more costly and inconvenient if you're digging holes inside your own house!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Also check there are no restrictive conditions on previous planning permissions that restrict the use of the garage for parking only - in which case, you will need planning permission (you won't otherwise).
  • gabyjane
    Hi our kitchen is directly above our garage as runs under our house so easy to move all the pipework as we enquired when we had our plumber round about moving our washing machine down there. The planning is fine.
    We never use our garage for the car tbh and although i wanted one when we bought now im not wuite sure why! aside from the fact that all my friends stuff is blocking it up after she has removed after the weekend i am blitzing it!
    The whole car thing has been asked over and over again and i know some people love the fact that thier car is safe but tbh for most it's just an added hassle! I think the kitchen would look fab downstairs..like my aunties posh london flat (and she doesn't have a garage!)
  • For us, the garage is infront of the utility, so I'm hoping pipes etc. wouldn't be a huge problem (there's already a washing machine & dishwasher in the utility).

I was actually thinking of converting the garage into a family/TV room initially, but then started thinking of making it into a kitchen as our current kitchen is so small.

Another complication, possibly, is that we have planning permission to build on top of the garage/utility. Hoping to get that done this year & thought we may as well get the garage converted at the same time, if we decide to do it. Finances wouldn't allow us to actually get the kitchen fitted out straightaway, it would just be the bare bones of the room initially & get the kitchen fitted when we had saved up the money.

I am dithering about losing the garage though, as gabyjane said as well, a garage was on my wishlist when I bought this house. But why?! It just gets used as a dumping ground & has never been used for the car & probably never will be. It seems daft to have that potential extra living space just sat there doing nothing. Think it might be worth speaking to a couple of local estate agents, see what they think?? Btw, there's plenty of space to park in the front garden & we also have some space at the side of the house.

Obviously lots of things to consider & people to speak to ...

Thanks everyone :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport