free speed camera software for sat nav.

2»

Comments

• Why not just stick to the speed limits...?
  • park_gate
    park_gate Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2009 at 3:31PM
    Why not just stick to the speed limits...?

Good point and I'm sure there are people who think speed camera alerts will help them break the law and that is why they are prepared to pay for them but that’s not the point of the alerts.

The cameras are clearly sign posted and the fix ones are painted bright yellow and they are marked on road maps. The authorities want people to drive carefully where they are located because of previous accidents.

You don’t need the alerts provided you are not driving around with your eyes closed (and some people do seem to do this) but the alerts do help the driver and so reduce the driver work load and improve safety.

As this is a money saving web site can I suggest people avoid the rip of merchants and go for free speed camera databases from someone like the following:

gpsinform.com
    gps-data-team.com
    poigenie.co.uk/speed_cameras

I can personally recommend gpsinform.com both for the UK and if you are planning a trip to France.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The gpsinform premium which is the equivalent to pocketgpsworld is £30, 50% dearer. The free version is, IMO, a waste of time. Just gives a "speed camera of some description" warning whereas the premium, as in pgpsw, will give type of camera, speed limit and direction.
  • molerat wrote: »
    The gpsinform premium which is the equivalent to pocketgpsworld is £30, 50% dearer. The free version is, IMO, a waste of time. Just gives a "speed camera of some description" warning whereas the premium, as in pgpsw, will give type of camera, speed limit and direction.

gpsinform.com is not equivalent to pocketgpsworld IMO it is much better as it covers the whole of Europe.

I want speed camera alerts when I’m driving in France as I’m driving on unfamiliar roads and the speed cameras are not painted bright yellow.

The free version of gpsinform gives two types of warnings fixed or mobile cameras which is more than enough for me.

If you want free speed limit alerts then use gps-data-team.com but I prefer the two POI database files for the whole of Europe from gpsinform.com.

I not sure what you mean about direction. If you are driving on a dual carriageway and you select warn if on route than gpsinform.com will only alert if the speed camera is on your carriageway. This is to do with the way TomTom works and nothing to do with the database (unless TomTom have some new feature I don’t know about).

The thing about pocketgpsworld is they started off free which encouraged their users to submit speed cameras and then when the database got to a reasonable size they started changing. This left many of their users feeling ripped off. Do you really want to deal with a company like that?
  • park_gate wrote: »
    gpsinform.com is not equivalent to pocketgpsworld IMO it is much better as it covers the whole of Europe.

I want speed camera alerts when I’m driving in France as I’m driving on unfamiliar roads and the speed cameras are not painted bright yellow.

The free version of gpsinform gives two types of warnings fixed or mobile cameras which is more than enough for me.

If you want free speed limit alerts then use gps-data-team.com but I prefer the two POI database files for the whole of Europe from gpsinform.com.

I not sure what you mean about direction. If you are driving on a dual carriageway and you select warn if on route than gpsinform.com will only alert if the speed camera is on your carriageway. This is to do with the way TomTom works and nothing to do with the database (unless TomTom have some new feature I don’t know about).

The thing about pocketgpsworld is they started off free which encouraged their users to submit speed cameras and then when the database got to a reasonable size they started changing. This left many of their users feeling ripped off. Do you really want to deal with a company like that?

I'll second that, i was with them for some time and to be fair they were real accurate, which puts them up near the top of providers for speed cameras, and to be Frank, i don't mind paying a little to keep the site going, and the hard work individuals put in, but some people are out of work, some people are on budgets, some people already lay out enough for their monthly / weekly outgoings etc, this place got greedy and people recognised it, and when questioned mods or other on the site got all defensive, its not the end of the world, there are plenty of other good sites, some you pay less some you will be paying as much, tom tom were even sending discount codes out via e-mail to have their speed camera updates, for me, i was annoyed at the fact that i provided everything requested and even provided photo's (under instruction) and they still didn't want to give free lifetime membership, so they contridicted what they originally said and went back on their word, SO, thats not a site i wish to use any more, i'll look around for a realistic site.
    Regards
  • Try scdb for much better value 36 countries for app £9 for 12 month
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    poiplaza comes recommended on other forums :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure