Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't remember when I was last on the electoral roll. This has not caused me any problems, including the last mortgage which I took out 7 years ago. Maybe I've just been lucky?
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just moved and although I've applied to be on the ER at my new property, it's not showing on my credit files yet ... despite this, I have been approved for a new mobile contract and credit card in the last month (albeit not a 0% one) so it is possible ...
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I've only ever been refused credit once due to not being on the electoral register. I think it's one of the things you score points for though, and it could tip the balance.
  • paul2584
    paul2584 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role.

Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?

Thanks for any info!
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paul2584 wrote: »
    I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role.

Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?

Thanks for any info!

No, it doesn't make any difference.

Credit agencies have access to the full register so if you choose to opt out of the edited register it wouldn't matter. The edited register is sold for mailshots, sales etc ....
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • TRACYA_4
    TRACYA_4 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have just been told I was unsuccessful when a mail order company did a credit check on me and used Equifax. I do not have any adverse credit history that i am aware of and i am on the electoral role. someone said you can get a FREE CREDIT RATING/CHECK FROM EQUIFAX but they do not know where they got theirs from. Can anyone help please as wish to sort this asap? :confused:
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    paul2584 wrote: »
    I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role. Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?

Until 2001, the whole register was for sale. Now there are two lists, the edited register (which is sold to anyone who wants to buy and which may be viewed in a public library) and the full version (which isn't sold, but which may be inspected at a local electoral registration office.)

Ticking the box removes you from the list that's sold, but does not affect your credit rating because, as TB says, the credit reference agencies use the full version.

Btw, not being on the edited register can sometimes cause a problem if you apply for credit from a retailer. A firm, such as Comet or Currys for instance, may conduct its credit search using the edited register.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    TRACYA wrote: »
    I have just been told I was unsuccessful when a mail order company did a credit check on me and used Equifax. I do not have any adverse credit history that i am aware of and i am on the electoral role. Someone said you can get a FREE credit rating/check from EQUIFAX but they do not know where they got theirs from. Can anyone help please as wish to sort this asap? :confused:

That someone's got their terms a little muddled.

Lenders perform credit checks on potential customers and arrive at a credit rating.

You need to check your Equifax credit report. This is the information lenders search when you apply for credit facilities. Mistakes do happen. (For help, see the *How to obtain credit reports* sticky.)
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    I bought my house in Cheshire since October 2006, however am not living in it as its being renovated. This is mortgaged.

Since June 2006 - present I am actually living with my parents in Stoke on Trent.

Where should I be registered? Really confused :confused:
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    I bought my house in Cheshire in October 2006, however I'm not living in it as it's being renovated. This is mortgaged. Since June 2006 - present, I am actually living with my parents in Stoke-on-Trent. Where should I be registered?

You should be registered at the address where you live in Stoke-on-Trent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure