Good Price For Combi Boiler Fitted?

Hi All

Anyone with recent experience of new boiler quoted or fitted? I've just had a quote from British Gas, does this seem reasonable to you?

Remove old combi and replace with Worcester Greenstar 28i junior (in Bedroom 3, same location as old one)
Fit thermostat in hallway
12 months homecare and service package (worth 200 quid)

Total price 2514.00

I think the boiler is around 800.00 but seems there are a lot of extras and of course labour, is this what I can expect to pay do you think, or shall i go for more quotes?

Thanks

Comments

• plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i_love_it wrote: »
    shall i go for more quotes?

Thanks

Deffo, get 3 more quotes from local Corgi Reg plumbers, you will get 12mths warrentie.
    Then go on a holiday with the cash you have saved, and send me a stick of rock;)
  • dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i_love_it wrote: »
    Hi All

Anyone with recent experience of new boiler quoted or fitted? I've just had a quote from British Gas, does this seem reasonable to you?

Remove old combi and replace with Worcester Greenstar 28i junior (in Bedroom 3, same location as old one)
    Fit thermostat in hallway
    12 months homecare and service package (worth 200 quid)

Total price 2514.00

I think the boiler is around 800.00 but seems there are a lot of extras and of course labour, is this what I can expect to pay do you think, or shall i go for more quotes?

Thanks

I think that's a bit steep however I guess prices vary regionally. I had a new Vokera Gas Condensing Combi installed for £1200 last year. I was looking at the Worcester Bosch and most of the quotes for these were around the £1400 mark. I think you might want to try a local company. My neighbour had a Worcester installed about a month after me and he paid just under £1500.

At £2514 are they looking to install TRV's to the radiators as well?

I would personally stay away from the power company's for boiler replacements. They tend to charge a premium.

If your really bothered about boiler cover look at USwitch, most of my quotes come out at about £120 including annual service. These are from companies such as Eon.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • siver
    siver Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've just had a combi installed, removal of old boiler and thermo valves fitted to my radiators.

The total price was £1650, but that was for the more powerful boiler which added £100.

Hope that helps.
    ~~~ Credit Card £1730 | Overdraft £1430 | Interest Free Credit [strike]£354[/strike] £0 ~~~

---October £10 a day Challenge: £0/£20 ---
    --- September £10 a day challenge: £76.86/£90
    ---
  • Thank you all for the info, I did think it seemed a lot, but I am struggling to find a small local company (any recomendations welcome, I live in warrington cheshire)

What put me off a little was the guy that came today is not the engineer but a sales guy and I felt his pitch was hard sell.

Good point about the warrenty also, I quess I wouldn't need the homecare plan for first 12 months anyway.

I'm not sure what trv's are, but no, nothing being installed on rads, just this one thermostat to the hall.

I will go with advice and get more quotes, any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again
  • Hello,

If you do a google search for Mike the boiler man (or miketheboilerman), you should find a very useful website on new boilers, when to get them fitted, how much they should cost and how much you will/will not save.

The interesting thing is the variance in cost for a new boiler, and Mike lays it all out to explain why you'll get quoted anywhere between £1000 and £3000 for a boiler. It's all about the building regs you see - and how bothered you are about adhering to them ;)

HTH

A.
  • Thanks for that site andymac238, definately helped in gaining a bit of knowledge and understanding of how the price can vary so much and helped to appear a little more informed whilst dealing with phone quotes;
    I've had 2 further quotes for same boiler and work, 2220.00 and 1450.00
    Hugely different, all seemingly offering the same quality of work inc' attention to safety regs, 2 more quotes to come, will post the outcome in case it helps anyone about to undertake simular work.
    Thanks again to all who've commented.
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We had a new boiler fitted and moved from kitchen to bedroom for £2300, Britsh Gas quoted over £5000 for the same job! Go for a recommended local tradesman.
  • Don't use British Gas to fit!!

We had a nightmare in our last house. They subcontract the work, and our contractor went on holiday halfway through the job - leaving us with no heating for a week in Jaunary! The room thermostat was fitted in the wrong place (and the wrong theromostat was used - we had paid extra for a wireless and they fitted a wired one and stuck tracking down the middle of the lounge wall!) they used more tracking for the earth wire in the bathroom and just stuck it to the floor!
    After it was fitted the pipe work from the boiler leaked twice, the room thermostat broke and each time an emergency engineer came out (they actually work for B Gas) everyone of them was shocked by the work. We ended up having to have some of the pipework replaced! The list goes on and on!

Britsh Gas response - sorry but thats tough, we don't give discounts or partial refunds. I persevered and after several letter and some heated phone calls I got £500 off the £5,500 bill.

I will never, ever go near them again.

Infact when we needed a boiler in our new house I used a local plumber. Much cheaper, efficient, friendly and we have had absolutely no problems.

Jo
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    theres a chap in sale cheshire, who fits combis for 1500 quid. ill try and find the details for him.
    my contact is in florida right now. ill email her for you.
    Get some gorm.
  • i got mine done locally for £1300-BG def having a laugh at that price!
    even god cant change the past-no matter how many times i cry
    for levi, leo, smudge and arfa:A my angels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family