PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing cooked turkey?

Hopefully this is this right thread to post on, please move if not.

My daughter posts on another forum and she noticed on there that are some posts saying that you should not freeze cooked turkey.

Does anyone know the reason why?

My organic turkey cost an arm and a leg; one of the posts said throw it away.

Any advice please?

i have sliced mine up and frozen it!

Comments

• neets
    neets Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    glad you asked this, it's something i need to know too, was waiting for an answer by text from my dad :) i have 2 platefuls of turkey waiting for freezing or throwing away!
  • Of course you can freeze it!
    I've been doing it for years,my mum's been doing it for years and my MIL's been doing it for years.What you mustn't do is freeze it twice-so don't defrost it and make it into curry and then put it back in the freezer.Defrost it and eat it.Its fine to defrost it and make a curry or whatever just don't freeze it again.HTH :snow_laug
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can freeze cooked turkey :xmassmile

I reckon people get confused, because you're not supposed to freeze it twice. That means don't freeze it, then defrost and re-freeze if it's raw, the same if it's cooked.

You can freeze it raw, defrost it, cook it then re-freeze. Just make sure you defrost it in the fridge and if you're heating it, make sure it's really hot before eating.
    Bulletproof
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thriftlady just explained it much better than me :snow_laug
    Bulletproof
  • I bought a fresh free range turkey this year and ordered a 4 - 5 kg bird, but when I picked it up the butcher told me that I could have a 7.5kg bird for the same price as he had some left and it was late on Christmas Eve. I cooked it and we had it for Christmas dinner and sandwiches for tea and then we had it again today for another roast leftover dinner and sandwiches for tea and there is still LOADS and LOADS left and I can't face it again - TBH I can't even face making curry or anything out of it so my question is - can I just take it all off the carcass and then wrap it in clingwrap and put it in a freezer bag and freeze it? If so how long will it keep for?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I quite often freeze cooked chicken & turkey. The books says it keeps for 1 month when cooked but i'm sure i've kept it longer.

I use it for meat pies and currys (obviously defrosting first though).

Does anyone know if you can take it out the freezer, defrost and then use straight in sandwiches without re-heating (i've wondered this for ages as my daughter loves Turkey sandwiches).
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Thats what iv done with mine, froze it in a few freezer bags, just enough in each to make pack lunchs for the kids when we get back to school, i will take out the night before and it will be fine to put straight onto sandwiches.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • Definitely freeze it, but don't freeze it all in one bag or you will have to use it all at the same time. Freeze in meal sized portions. Also, you can freeze the carcase for making stock later. I've done this with my goose carcase as I haven't the energy to make stock at the moment.
  • thriftlady wrote: »
    Definitely freeze it, but don't freeze it all in one bag or you will have to use it all at the same time. Freeze in meal sized portions. Also, you can freeze the carcase for making stock later. I've done this with my goose carcase as I haven't the energy to make stock at the moment.

I watched a nigella prog once where she said that one chicken carcass isn't enough to make stock, so not only does she freeze all her chicken carcasses, if she goes to a friends house and they serve chicken, she will always ask if she can take the carcass home to add to her freezer collection. She never runs out of chicken for stock. And of course you can then freeze the stock as well.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Im new to all this but ive satrted to freexe some of mine just from reading these & past posts. I will put it in curries & stir frys i think...prob his work lunch as well.
    2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
    Saving all change & paying off debts!!
    constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure