Sold a modelling portfolio and don't want it

Comments

• it's a scam because they will have told the OP that they needed the photos/portfolio/website and it would get them work as a model.

These are lies and that's what makes it a scam [contract or no contract].

Think about it....why would anyone spend £1000 on a website from someone unless the seller promised a benefit from it ...ie the seller/scammer lied.

Try google and see what the model scams are all about.

The scammers were barred from charging [aspiring] models for upfront fees for 'agency fees' and so moved onto providing 'services' ie websites [worthless]

People have websites made about themselves all the time, if they go to a 3rd party to have these created no doubt they would have to pay for them.

Whilst some of the tactics may be underhand it seems odd to keep referring to this as a scam.

The people are told what they are buying and for what price. Where is the lie? Whether there is any benefit or not is largely irrelevant.

I know there are lots of unscrupulous people all over the place, there are a number of similar photo companies that apply a great deal of pressure (we see them all the time) but it still does not negate the fact that they are not really scams - they are just expensive for what they are.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    do NOT pay a single penny to these thieves.

This is the worst bit of advice I have heard on this site for a long while.

The OP has entered a finance agreement and if she doesn't pay then she will likely find out that her credit history will be trashed when they put defaults on it and will have to spend the next few years avoiding debt collection agencies contacting her.
  • gb12345
    it's a scam because they will have told the OP that they needed the photos/portfolio/website and it would get them work as a model.

And now you're just putting words into the OP's mouth - nowhere did she say that was the case.
  • I wonder if it might be worth the OP speaking to the Employment Agency Inspectorate for advice. Or to first tell LSM that she'll be speaking to the EAI if they don't cancel the contract the contract and refund her money?

On the London School of Modelling's website, they state they're an agency - eg. front page: "Join a top model agency". The EAI's website states that agencies are "breaking the law" if they ask for money when you first speak with them. I know OP gets a portfolio, but this might be argued to be an attempt to workaround the EAI rules. Here's the EAI's info: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/tips-when-using-entertainment-and-modelling-agencies

If this route isn't successful, I can't see any other option than paying up and remembering to walk away from such sales tactics in the future.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    scam or rip off - they are charging a fortune for this and not even provided the goods yet ...............did you give you timescale to have everything they are charging you for if so and now passed you may be able to get something back.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but they have provided part of the service.
  • gb12345
    On the London School of Modelling's website, they state they're an agency - eg. front page: "Join a top model agency". The EAI's website states that agencies are "breaking the law" if they ask for money when you first speak with them. I know OP gets a portfolio, but this might be argued to be an attempt to workaround the EAI rules. Here's the EAI's info: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/tips-when-using-entertainment-and-modelling-agencies

I must be looking at a different website to you, because I can't see anywhere they say "Join a top model agency". In fact I see the opposite "Whilst we are not a model agency".

Also your link is for a Gov dept in Northern Ireland - not much use when the company is in London.
  • gb12345
    lemontart wrote: »
    and not even provided the goods yet

Give them a chance - the OP only went yesterday.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    OP goes home, sees the untouched photos don't make him look like David Beckham, or any other male model, and has a serious bout of Buyers Remorse.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • I fail to see how offering a product/service in returns for money is a scam.

They are paying £1,500 for a website and a portfolio.

There is no requirement in a contract for something to be a bargain - the price agreed by the parties is the contractual price.

Exactly, expensive, you'll obviously get the hard sell but I can't see how it's a scam. The op seems to have been told exactly what they were paying for and how much it would cost.

Personally if anything that interests me & catches my eye I resist at the time and go to Google looking for similar things to get an idea of what it is I'm paying for and can I find it cheaper. Hopefully the op will do something similar in the future after having their fingers burnt this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure