PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I split my 750g in 2, and then i can get 2 meals for 5 of us from half, so i'd say 16 portions (kids eat about the same as 2 adults)

If i really need to make meat stretch i mix the mince threw the pasta for sag bol (it's easier if you use pasta shapes) and use very little. If i was using mince i'd do half for mince and taties or sheperds pie, and the rest in a huge pie.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    I get three portions out of 250g mince but to do that I split the mince and sauce in half (OH doesn't have anything other than mince and sauce) and then add veggies to my half to bulk it out and make 2 portions (I then freeze one for when he's away :P)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Golly I'd say out of 750g that will make 6 meals, based on 125g per adult portion which is in line with what most nutritional people say HTH :)
    Nessy x
    House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all your contributions. I've gone with 3 x 2 portions - one for tonight and freeze two. We don't eat pasta or rice - we will be having it as a topping for Roast vegetables, or baked sweet potato. It looks generous - I will post again after dinner!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, just for us for future reference, I think 750g mince cooked with onions, carrots peppers and tomoatoes (or dolmio) will make 8 adult portions if it is being served with vegetables (or pasta or rice if that's what you eat). We are both quite stuffed! We don't need to worry about protein intake as we have protein breakfast (sausages today) and lunch (cheese salad)

Thanks for your input everyone :-)
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • winniepooh
    Options
    I've just finished writing my freezer list and I have 250g of beef mince. I don't think there is enough for a main meal for the four of us and I'm not sure what else to do with it. Any ideas?
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Jennie_2
    Jennie_2 Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    Options
    I would make a mini bolognese or chili and serve it on top of big jacket potatoes with salad.

Or, I would make a bolognese or savoury mince and mix it with cooked pasta. Sprinkle cheese on top, bung under the grill.... perfect!
    :dance:Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will. :dance:
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    i'd make meatballs
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would make spag bol with it but instead of putting it on top mix it threw the pasta like you would a bake and top with cheese, i split 750g packs into 2 for the 5 of us so 325g a meal, but if i make spag bol i always do this and get 2 meals :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    250g of mince will easily make enough bolognaise for 4, I get 6 large portions out of 500g that would easily stretch to 8.

250g mince
    1 large onion
    4 mushrooms
    1-2 tins chopped toms
    tube tom puree
    Paprika, salt & pepper
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure