PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Advice On Daughter Please!

Hi There

Not sure if this is the right place for this :confused:

My daughter is 10 and quite fussy with food etc.

For her packed lunch I normally give her a sandwich/roll with either marmite, cheese, ham or choc spread(once a week max). She also has a piece of fruit, squash, low fat crisps and raisins in a bag. Reading all your suggestions-Im now unsure whether this is a healthy packed lunch

She eats well at home and eats her 5 portions of fruit and veg a day etc, we dont have take aways and I make everything from scratch. All meals are what I call "normal" meals, roasts, chops, toad in hole, spag bol, curry, chilli, cheesy pasta, etc, etc. Normally all meals are served with potatoes and at least 2 veg, unless pasta or rice etc.

I was thinking about cooking up some chicken pieces and doing rice/pasta & chicken for her packed lunch, but unsure how I should store this, can I freeze it etc etc???? Also, was thinking about making some HM sausage rolls & quiches-but have never made these before and was wondering again-how do I make these and how should they be stored??? Also the cheese straws???

If anyone can suggest any other ideas-I would be truly grateful!!

Thanks
Penny-Pincher!!
XXXX
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• You are doing OK! she has a very good diet what with a the fruit and veg and good home cooking. I don't think that you have anything to worry about but if you want to make the extras like the sausage rolls etc I think that there will be someone along soon with the recipes but all the new things you mention are quite fatty so maybe not too good for everyday. I think that the cooked chicken and rice or pasta salad will be a very good idea but you might need to think about putting an ice pack in the lunch box unless they get put in a cold room at school
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Penny Pincher

The only thing I wondered about the packed lunches is could you introduce some salad occasionally in th sandwiches & what about fruit juice instead of squash sometimes? Nothing too dramatic but would add a bit of variety maybe? Oh, and my mum used to put chicken drumsticks & cherry tomatoes in mine for a special treat!

On the sausage rolls & quiches, here is what I do :

Sausage Rolls
    Ready made puff-pastry
    sausagemeat/skinned sausages/mince of choice
    Flour for rolling (lots for the sausagemeat as it's sticky!)
    Beaten egg to galze
    For variation you can add a little dried stuffing mix, fried onions, grated carrots or even grated apple to the sausagemeat if you want.

Basically just roll the pasty out, cut into strips abotu double the width of a sausage roll, put rolled out sausage meat into centre, brush beaten egg white down one side to form a seal & fold over. Cut into sizes as desired, put slits in top & put on greased baking try, glaze with beaten egg & cook at about 180 degrees for 20 mins or until golden. Allow to cool & store in an air tight tin or freezeer.

Quiche
    Shortcrust pastry base (either bought or beacuse we are old style home made) & partially pre baked to ensure cooked all the way through, although lots of people would probably not bother partially pre-cooking.

Eggs
    Milk or cream
    Hard grated cheese like chedder or similar
    Onions
    Any combo of : ham, onions, sliced cooked sausages, cooked chicken, spring onions, asparagus, chopped bacon, sliced tomatoes, cooked chopped courgettes, cooked chopped aubergines, sliced peppers, crumbled goats cheese, smoked or tinned salmon, tinned tuna (works well with tinned pineapple chunks!), cooked brocolli florets. Or pretty much anything else you can think of!
    Seasoning, sprinkle paprika or curry powder on top to colour & flavour if desired.

Fill pastry base with eggs/milk/cheese/onion mix & add selection of other flavourings as chosen, arranging some nicely on the top for presentation, cook for about 35 mins at about 170 degrees until fim but springy itn eh centre. Can be eaten hot or allow to cool & slice, store in fridge or freezer.

If you leave the cheese out it's a savoury flan instead of a quiche!

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There are lots of good ideas for packed school lunches here too:- clickme.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you considered school dinners even just one day a week. Often fussy eaters try food they wouldn't normally try at home because their friends are eating it. Ask the school for a menu - usually 3 weekly so you can decide.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    I was thinking about cooking up some chicken pieces and doing rice/pasta & chicken for her packed lunch, but unsure how I should store this, can I freeze it etc etc???? Also, was thinking about making some HM sausage rolls & quiches-but have never made these before and was wondering again-how do I make these and how should they be stored??? Also the cheese straws???

Chicken and pasta can be frozen, you can defrost the day before or over night, and add mayo or anything else when defrosted. )I like sweetcorn, mushrooms, onions and carrots in my pasta salads.

Lillibets receipes look scrummy,

You can also add veggies to the sausage meat if you want, pre-cook it and mix it in well
  • FranDan
    FranDan Posts: 621 Forumite
    I often send my eldest son off with cooken chicken or a pasta salad. I've brought smallish thermos insulated plastic snack pots which can keep the food cold or warm - although I've only ever used them cold. I place the contents in the pot and place it in the fridge the day before ready to put in his lunch bag in the morning. The pots also have a foldable spoon with a lidded area to keep it and any sauces etc. I genreally wrap up frozen pittas or flour tortilla wraps for him to fill himself come lunchtime.

I brought mine from the Great Little Trading Company, pack of two for £8.99 from www.gltc.co.uk item number G8576.

HTH;)
    "When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better."- Mae West :D
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    That sounds a decent packed lunch to me. My kids have similar but drink water not squash. I often put a little tub of cheese 'n' pineapple, fruit salad or homemade rice pudding in as well. My biggest bugbear is that the boxed are kept at room temp or even worse by the heater so I'm sure whatever you put in is foul to eat by lunch time.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Hello

Thanks for the replies!!

Daughter only likes lettuce :mad: and she has a glass of apple or orange juice with her breakfast.

The school she attends wont let you have dinners occasionally-you have to have it for the whole term and they need to know in advance :eek:

Thanks
    Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    MATH wrote:
    .................. My biggest bugbear is that the boxed are kept at room temp or even worse by the heater so I'm sure whatever you put in is foul to eat by lunch time.

Yup, mine too!!! The way I get around this is to put a cool box ice block in the lunch bag.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills