PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long is tuna okay in the fridge?

I made a sandwich filler of (tinned) tuna, chopped onion and mayonnaise. It is in a sealed container in the fridge, but how long will it be okay?
Thank you
Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)

Comments

• Rabbit
    Rabbit Posts: 146 Forumite
    I always use tinned stuff within 2 days of opening and putting in the fridge. I got this idea from the baked beans tin recommendation. I suppose it might be ok for longer but I have normally eaten it by then.

HTH
    A penny saved is one you don't have to earn! :wave:
  • I have kept tuna in a sealed container in the fridge for around 5 days before without a problem. I usually rely on my nose.
    The onion may taint the fish though so probably good for 2 days I would guess.
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Id say 2 or 3 days, again sniff it if it smells ok it probably is.
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • being a single person i often only need half a tin of something, i know i can keep things like baked beans covered in the fridge for a day or two but unsure about tuna? anyone know?

also talking about tuna, i see sainsburys have really cheap value cans of it now, what is the difference between that and the standard tuna chunks?
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd keep tuna a couple of days, don't leave in the tin though, put into a dish and cover. the sniff test is usually the way to tell!

the value cans are usually tuna flakes rather than steak or chunks. I know my mum feeds her cat with them as they're cheaper than cat food, but i am sure they are fine for eating too!

when i was on my own I used to buy the Sainsburys 3 packs of mini tuna tins, then it was just enough for one portion. they used to be 99p, think a little more now, so actually work out quite reasonable (i found i'd end up chucking half the other tins out!)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I must be really greedy then, as I eat the whole tin!
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    my freind eats value tuna and she says its fine, yea dont keep anything in a tin in the freidge
  • well to be honest i could probably have eaten the whole tin, as i still feel a bit hungry. with baked beans i usually have the whole tin to myself. thanks for the info about storing in another container ive heard about the problem leaving food in tins.
  • Hi I opened a can of tuna on wednesday night and only used a third of it. The remainder is in the fridge in a tupperware box but I don't need it until sunday. do you think it will keep until then?

How long would you keep it for before binning it?

Hayley
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    If it's in a tupperware in the fridge it should be fine.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure