PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

mince meat

Hi everyone I bought some mince on sunday and it is dated best before the 15th July.I have always kept it in the fridge.It's gone brown now so I won't be eating it.Is there any way I could be using it I mean what if I freeze it is there any chances of reviving it?Or shall I take it back to Asda's and complain?:confused:
half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver

Comments

• honey
    honey Posts: 703
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had that happen to me a while ago and I just took it back to Tesco and they swapped it for me. They told me that you ought to either cook it or freeze it really quick despite what the sell by date says :confused:

Personally I wouldn't risk eating it if it's all brown and yuck!
  • The reason minced meat goes off quickly is because of all the many surface areas that are exposed to the air (contrast this with a joint of beef) and I really can't understand why it had such a long sell-by date. I certainly would take it back, don't even think about cooking it :eek: and when you get another pack I would either cook or freeze it the same day and ignore the sell-by date
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    oh no I wasn't going to cook it but i also wondered why it has such a long best by date.i wonder how many people actually throw it away as it's gone off:eek:

thanks for the advice
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    take it back and you will get a refund and another pack as asda have a 200% own brand money back guarantee.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924
    Forumite
    I always thought we had been storing Mince incorrectly, as we buy on say Sunday to use late in the week, and by the time the day comes round its normally off!
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    this has happen a couple of times to us and we have had the meat refunded and replaced no problem. worse still is i have seen mince in the reduced cabinet the same colour that we have returned! had thought to buy it to get refund and a replacement lol
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    hi just to let you know i took the mince back (it cost £1.93) and Cs refunded me £2.06 and replaced it:j
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703
    Forumite
    Great result! - Who said there is no such thing as a free lunch :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Robert Heinlein :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I normally just throw it away when it's like that - the petrol and hassle of getting back to the supermarket wouldn't be worth the money.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure