Transporting a 2nd hand fridge-freezer

i am buying a fridge-freezer 2nd hand off a friend.. (momeysaving as he only wants £60 cheaper than a 2nd hand shop) ... another friend is helping me move house by lending me his van.. (for free :j ) but he said to me "you know you cant lie down a fridge freezer thats already been used so i'll have to move it stood up right and that wont fit in my transit" :confused:

I didnt know this was the case? Is it true? Can a fridge-freezer thats been used be lay down to transport it? If not am i going to have to hire another bigger van just to move that? :eek:

Thanks in advance.. didnt know where else to ask.

Comments

• GreenB_2
    GreenB_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    I have transported them on their sides before and not had any problems. They are tested prior to shipping so whats the difference between an "new" one and a used one being put on their side?

I did read somewhere you should leave them in place for 12 hours before switching on though........
  • Try not to lay it down flat but at an angle if possible. All to do with the gas of the cooling system inside the fridge that could create an air lock if trapped in the pipes and stop the fridge from functioning. I am not too sure why your friend mentions a difference between new and 2nd hand....new fridges are tested before leaving the factory anyhow so..??....Whatever you do, please ensure that you rest your fridge for at least 6 to 8 hours in its place of use. Then plug and switch on. This will give the gas time to settle and any air inside to rise where it should rise to.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    If you do have to lay the fridge down let it stand for 12 hours before turning it on!
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • I always leave them standing for 24 hrs before plugging them in again. Never had a problem. Used to have a job delivering them.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Old models of fridges (and maybe some recent ones too) had their compressor suspended with quite soft spiral springs. For transportation of such a frige (especially in non-vertical position) compessor should be fixed with special bolts.
  • I shifted quite a few FF's, The last one was one of those huge american jobbies, so I asked to importers why this "don't lay them down" idea was believed. Apparently the compressors have oil in the bottom of them and this is in fact designed to mix a bit with the gas that does the actual cooling so all you need is for the two to separate out again, they said that the 12 hour bit was somewhat excessive and that a couple of hours was all that was needed. I must say that over I think; 10 house moves; I've never had a problem.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • bockster
    bockster Posts: 448 Forumite
    i found the sides are quite easily dented unless your really careful, or lay it on the side that may be hidden!?
    Please note, we've had to remove your signature because it was sh*te!
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I moved mine stood up in a box transit, but I didnt secure it with ropes !

Crash - at least twice it flew over in the back of the van and caused a few dints and dents but still worked !!
  • Wow, thanks for all your comments guys. Just bought a FF off ebay and had heard that you shouldnt move them lying down, really useful to read everyone's advice. I didn't know about leaving them for a few hours before switching them on either. I have instructed the man delivering it accordingly!! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure