PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Second that, you've been overdoing things miss! xxx chiil oot!
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    morning all - damp and cold here but ten miles down the road its snowing apparently - how is it where you are? are you all prepped? I've worn completely the wrong footwear in to work today if we get snow but at least the husband is picking me up tonight from the front of the work building so I'll only have to skid about 10 yards and one small step to get to the car!

stay safe, hydrated, dry and warm everyone x
    Blah
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    We have snow here in the south east! Brrr but pretty! Little dog staying snuggled up indoors atm lazy girl! oh went off on a long drive to Lincolnshire forgetting his flask of coffee but he does have a scarf gloves and a blanket in the car! It seems to be worse here in Essex with cars slipping and sliding on the roads that the grifters didn't get to! Going to get some soup going in the slow cooker for his return!

Still dizzy but only in the mornings and at night! When I sit up too quickly it feels like someone is forcefully pushing me back down! Weird! Hoping pacing and resting (typical me symptom management) will help! Stay safe and warm everyone!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Whats a gritter then Catz?? ;) We never see one here rare as hens teeth lol.
    Reporting in Noo *salutes*

South east london has snow so be prepared for copious amounts of cockups on the news :D

DS2 was due to go to school,cab was here at 7.20 looked out at 7.25 and we had a blizzard! I've had to keep him off but DS3 has gone in as its not too bad and he was chomping at the bit to get to school for a change! It's not bad enough to keep him off and seems to be thawing already.

I had Tesco's deliver yesterday so we're set X
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    we had snow at quarter to 8 this morning so a scary drive to school - it wasn't settling on the main roads but the side roads were a bit slippy. All gone now but the trains are doing their usual - ie not running 'cos they don't like snow so they won't go, so there! At least I don't have to go to work any more but my poor DD was standing on a cold platform for quite a while.

I'm away for a few days from today so must remember to tell her where the snow shovel is (NOT at the back of the shed despite DH's best efforts when tidying up) and remind her to put some salt on the step in the morning. It's York-type stone and lethal if it's icy. Nice to be prepared but no use if other family members don't know what I've got and where it is!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Thanks GQ - hope you feel better soon.

I made it in to work and did an hours worth of work to look out the window and bingo - snow covered car park. DH is safely tucked up in bed and I am not going to be able to work out what the snow situation is on our hill until he wakes up - could be interesting getting up the hill home tonight, if only because no one else thinks to put either winter tyres on their cars or attempt to drive sensibly in this weather so they clog he hill up with "stuck" vehicles. As for gritters, it's only a bus route, why would we get a gritter??????
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,311
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you'v got a Lidl near you check it out,mine had snow chain's in yesterday, in 3 size's, at £20,hth.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • I am desperately trying to make a bit of room in this house, doh I was going to run long term food stocks down but after reading what mar found about feed wheat futures, well nothing is going to go down and it`ll be more than likely that food prices will carry on upwards.

So I am thinking smart and vinegar that I use for making preserves won`t be needed until next year, so they are going into the inaccessible far end of my low corner kitchen cupboard. I mean I would go and get gallons of wine vinegar and cider vinegar so they are all at least half full. I will probably be smiling next year mind as they got 1/4 the crop of cider apples from here this year. Then it is on hands and knees with a head torch on, how flipping ridiculous, to burrow into my understairs cupboard where they are residing now, just so I can release some space for the olive oil and grains that I have all over the place in cool areas

Time also to take my sauerkraut out of its fermentation crock and I`ll repack into kilners, which will go into the cold lean to. All my brined veg is looking and tasting good, I have deliberately left some from 2011 and it is keeping very well. I had a mad moment and brined small plums, well they will be nice and pickled by now, just got to think what the heck to do with them

Beautiful sunny day here after a wet and not so cold night, dh is cycling and as usual I am doing stuff in the house, ie washing, sorting stores and cooking all at once but I stop dead at 1 as I often do and I knit, read, eat a bit of chocolate, listen to the radio. I admit to getting twitchy when it rains at the moment as it still looks like an inland sea when viewed from the top road

Went to the farmers place yesterday and bought a mousetrap which caught the little beastie last night, also bought lovely local beef from them, which is casseroling now. Its a very good place for all sorts of basics for the house as well as all the usual for farmers and smallholders. All local stuff where they can
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    I had a mad moment and brined small plums, well they will be nice and pickled by now, just got to think what the heck to do with them

It might be worth looking at umeboshi for inspiration.
    HTH
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OOh Kittie your stores sound very interesting. I need to make pickled red cabbage this week as DS loves it with his tater hash and must find a recipe for either onion chutney or sweetcorn relish as I am addicted to them and they are £1 a bottle. Will keep the squeezy bottles from the last buy and decant into them.

No snow here so far but looking like its on its way. OH popped out with his carer for a couple of hours so am trying valiantly to get the house sorted. I need to make a door curtain for the front today so thats next job on the list.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills