How do I cancel an online debit card payment?

2»

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Stopping a Visa Debit/ Maestro card does not mean that a retailer cannot debit your account. Debits can and do come through on stopped cards, the bank then makes a decision as to what to do with them. They will contact you if it's a continuous authority payment or the payment was authorised before the card was stopped. If you haven't cancelled a continuous authority payment, it will continue to debit. Banks cannot stop or cancel payments on either of these cards, you need to contact the retailer to ask them to refund it for you.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They have done the work of getting a new insurance document so can legally charge for it where it sent by email or snail post.
    Can I ask whether she needed it for a car tax renewal? If so renewing online would have been cheaper as they electronically check whether the car is insured and if needs by MOT.
  • timmeroo
    timmeroo Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hi - and thanks for your replies.
    It was for the purposes of getting her car tax renewed for just a few days so she could then get it a full MOT as part of a trade in deal. She does not have e-mail/internet access.
    It was simply a one-off payment as she already has an on-going annual payment for insurance with them.
    £35 seems a bit steep for a duplicate that a fiver or tenner would cover!! - but the fact is the duplicate was no longer needed (a panic error)and I simply cannot believe that it was 'already in the post' after about 20mins.
    As for contacting the retailer, everytime you phone up you speak to someone different who you then have to go through the whole bally rigmorole again with. Its bloody frustrating, time consuming and annoyingly impersonal - but that is how everything is geared these days, 'cos they don't really want to know or help.
    I suspect a strong letter is in order, but who do you write to - they're all a lot of faceless wonders!!
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    It may be faceless but that is the price you pay for cheapness. If you want good service, go to a proper broker. You will get the service but expect to pay for it.
  • timmeroo
    ILW wrote: »
    It may be faceless but that is the price you pay for cheapness. If you want good service, go to a proper broker. You will get the service but expect to pay for it.

Aye - well I won't disagree with you there. I do actually use a broker.
  • timmeroo
    okay - well we have a result. A lovely lass took up the case and looked into it. Unfortunately she could not correspond by e-mail with me directly because of Confidentiality (always the way!). She did finally catch my partner in by telephone and explained what she has done. Seems that the £35 was wrongly charged anyway especially in light of the fact that the policy holder was also changing vehicles. I gather the sum has been reimbursed via the card details - so's alls swell that ends swell - and it does pay to be Victor Meldrew!
    cheers :beer:
  • I bought a skateboard online and the website where i bought it from did not match the website it said on my online banking account. I'm guessing I have been fraud. The transition says that it is still in process but the amount has already been fully deducted. Is it possible that the so called company can take more money?
  • I bought a skateboard online and the website where i bought it from did not match the website it said on my online banking account. I'm guessing I have been fraud. The transition says that it is still in process but the amount has already been fully deducted. Is it possible that the so called company can take more money?
  • Lakerfan10 wrote: »
    I bought a skateboard online and the website where i bought it from did not match the website it said on my online banking account. I'm guessing I have been fraud. The transition says that it is still in process but the amount has already been fully deducted. Is it possible that the so called company can take more money?

yes they can because they have your bank details, keep an eye on any outstanding amounts that you have not made that may be pending and contact your bank asap..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure