Boiler Making Loud Banging Noise

Options

Comments

• oldandhappy
    oldandhappy Posts: 966 Forumite
    Options
    The type of header tank we had years ago we had to top it up from time to time...maybe every 6 months..when we forgot obviously the water became lower in the rads and caused some really loud odd noises in the pipes=air....the boiler made various noises too at times but cannot remember the reasons...except it was 25 years old and had steel pipes instead of copper due to a shortage of copper at that time...apparently....late 60's servowarm...British Gas Engineer should be called back to sort it I feel.We have there Gas Service contract and have had good service with them so far...as in we had a problem they where not sure so changed a very expensive part that covered a multitude of things!!!!...solved
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    economiser wrote:
    If you have a header tank and cannot find ad drain point you could simply bale some water out into a bucket. You don't have to drain the tank completely, just enough to get the descaler in.

Not really because the descaler is concentrated and is only one litre. If you just pour it into the header tank, it will most probably still be there next year unless water is drained off to ensure that it actually circulates around the system though the boiler.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • DilbertJones
    Options
    can anyone submit a pic of what to look for for a drain tap? also if i drain it, how do i top it up? is it a job for a complete novice like me?

Does anyone know if BG will treat this under their agreement?
  • tcclalel
    tcclalel Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem, BG did try putting stuff into the system but didn't work for me. When we fitted a new radiator, OH had to go out and buy what BG had put in to replace it and it was £50! They had left the paperwork with me with the name, can't remember now.
    I dread winter as it can happen twice a day and scares my kids to death as it sounds like thunder in the loft!
    I can always tell when mine is going to go as one radiator gets really hot and you can hear a dripping noise in the pipes.
    The system usually shuts itself off with the 'overheat' thingy..
    BG been out loads of times now but they have said unless they are there when it happens thay can't really see anything wrong.
    I have found them to be really good and they do try different things.
  • EasilyAggravated
    Options
    if you look at the valves on your radiators around the house, you have a thermostat on one side and a valve on the other to turn off the supply to that radiator. on one of the radiators, usually the one nearest an outside door, there will be an extra valve soldered onto the pipe just before it connects to the radiator. it looks like a small ribbed piece with a square valve, much the same as a bleed valve, in the centre of it. this is where you would drain from
  • espresso
    Options
    robodan wrote:
    can anyone submit a pic of what to look for for a drain tap? also if i drain it, how do i top it up? is it a job for a complete novice like me?

Does anyone know if BG will treat this under their agreement?

This is a typical drain c0ck:

1608xar.gif

They should be fitted underneath downstairs rads or at the lowest point of the system.

To drain the header tank, turn of cold water supply, attach a hose to the drain c0ck and open, fill up a couple of buckets and then put the descaler into the header tank. Turn the water on again and bleed the rads to get any air out. Leave it to do it's stuff while it circulates around the system and through the boiler.

British Gas are more likely to tell you that you need a new boiler because they get commission on sales!

:mad:

PS I wasn't allowed to type c0ck!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • espresso
    Options
    robodan

I assume that my picture of a C0CK has put you right off :eek:

:rotfl:
  • George_Bray
    George_Bray Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar problem, with what I assume to be air bubbles. These cause loud noises for a few seconds every now and then. But how can I ensure the cleaner goes into the indirect pipe circuit for my hot water system and stays there? Second, how do you 'bleed' such a system of air? Also, should you ensure a chemical is left in the indirect circuit to prevent the return of corrosion?

I have no central heating - just hot water heating. There's a header tank in the loft and an 'indirect' copper water cylinder in the airing cupboard on the first floor. A burner on the ground floor heats water and sends it round an 'indirect' coil in the middle of the cylinder. It's a very common arrangement.

If the indirect circuit is drained, it gets topped up from the main cylinder. Perhaps it has a one-way valve. How else would they stop any chemicals (in the indirect circuit) going into the main water in the tank?

Regards
    George
  • espresso
    Options
    I have a similar problem, with what I assume to be air bubbles. These cause loud noises for a few seconds every now and then. But how can I ensure the cleaner goes into the indirect pipe circuit for my hot water system and stays there? Second, how do you 'bleed' such a system of air? Also, should you ensure a chemical is left in the indirect circuit to prevent the return of corrosion?

I have no central heating - just hot water heating. There's a header tank in the loft and an 'indirect' copper water cylinder in the airing cupboard on the first floor. A burner on the ground floor heats water and sends it round an 'indirect' coil in the middle of the cylinder. It's a very common arrangement.

If the indirect circuit is drained, it gets topped up from the main cylinder. Perhaps it has a one-way valve. How else would they stop any chemicals going into the main water in the tank?

Regards
    George

An indirect hot water tank has a coil inside to heat the contents of the tank which is kept entirely separate from the boiler circuit. You should be able to follow the pipework to see how it works and find a bleed valve. The Sentinel x200 is supposed to be left in the system.
  • George_Bray
    George_Bray Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote:
    An indirect hot water tank has a coil inside to heat the contents of the tank which is kept entirely separate from the boiler circuit. You should be able to follow the pipework to see how it works and find a bleed valve. The Sentinel x200 is supposed to be left in the system.

Thank you for your input. But I'm still confused. The indirect circuit can't be entirely separate from the main part of the tank (the water which is used). I say that because I drained the indirect circuit once or twice, and all other parts of the system too. Then when water flowed back into the system it refilled the indirect circuit os there is at least a one-way link.

I'm fairly certain I caused the problems in the first place by draining the system of chemicals and then not replacing them afterwards.

Does anyone know if there is a one-way valve, please?

Regards
    George
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family