Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

Comments

• katchambers
    katchambers Posts: 1,129
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wish I could, but my mum doesn't have a bank account and my husbands mum is so risk aversive she would never let us put her details on the net, I have tried everything to sell on amazon - I also have no idea why I can't - my credit isn't bad etc...

Kat x
    My darling boy born December 2011

• ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    https://www.greenmetropolis.com

This site recycles peoples old books, it pays you £3.00 for every one you sell and it charges buyers only £3.75 per book (which makes it a great site to buy from too)
    5p from every sale goes to (i think this is right charity) the woodland trust, who plant trees to replace those that were used to create your book.
    Its very simple to load your unwanted books onto their system, you only have to enter ISBN number and check a box to state what condition the book is in
    You will need to pay postage on the books you sell but ive found that normally costs around 50p, therefore still netting approx £2.50 per book
    I earnt £14 in the first month or so from selling my old novels, since then i have come up with a better strategy...
    I search ebay for job lot/collections of cheap books that are local to my area, collect and then register them on https://www.greenmetropolis.com
    In two months I have made profit of £48 :T
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As an experianced eBayer and online seller PLEASE do tell how you can post a paperback book of low average weight say 200gms + packaging for 50p !

Or do you just stick a label and stamps on the book itself ?

shammy
  • ayla261
    I've got rid of loads that are roughly 400 pages or so and i ask post office to send cheapest way (second class normally) never paid more than 67p, maybe i've been lucky :D I've posted on another forum too and they pointed out textbooks are dear to send, my advice is stick to paperbacks, although the site does offer you options for additional payment if books are heavier than normal (eg large paperback, hardback and others)
    ps i usually send out in recylced envelopes too...normally the ones that come thru from O2 :rotfl: i have lots of those
  • shammyjack
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
  • ayla261
    okey dokey whatever you say, i thought id post so others could reap the benefits but now made to feel like liar, wont bother again

ps just checked my latest postage reciepts:
    71p
    47p
    71p
    67p
    £1.12 (this package had two novels in)
    74p

pps my last load of books was 6 boxes full bought from ebay for 99p, 12 have so far sold equalling £36 and allowing packaging priced 83p as you qouted (£9.96) still made profit of £26 and have around 200 books downstairs as yet unsold :T
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    What A Great Idea
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    shammyjack wrote:
    Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
    The site is about sharing/recycling books. If you reuse a jiffy bag from a freebie you have received then all it costs to pack is a bit of sticky tape.

The books are listed till they sell or till you remove them, the only fee is the 75p if they sell. If they don't sell it costs you nothing.

The minimum you can list something on ebay for is 10days, this costs you 15p even if it doesn't sell. If it does sell you have your FVF and possibly paypal fees.

Some books are better on eBay but most are better on Green Metropolis IMO.

On eBay you need to photograph your book and add a description, no need to do this on Green Metropolis, just enter the ISBN and the site does the rest.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • shammyjack
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not calling anyone a liar but having been around here a little longer than you I know that members appreciate accurate information .

True postal costs are relevant to your post and I am not trying to demene it , I know it was made in good faith .

If you are posting books in an ordinary envelope with no packing or stiffeners then you will eventually get complaints . If selling on eBay with the postal methods you employ every feedback would be a negative !

shammy
  • workshop
    workshop Posts: 111 Forumite
    Thanks ayla261 - I feel a spring clean coming on! Great post. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business