How much do Electric ovens cost to run vs Gas ovens?

2»

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kjsmith7 wrote: »
    1 number on a metric/5 dial gas meter ticking around (eg 00001 to 00002) is the equivalent of roughly 11kWh, and costs between 3p and 8p (again depending on supplier, tariff, etc. etc. etc.).

Just to be clear, that's between 3p and 8p per kWh (not per 11kWh).
    Stompa
  • Unscientific but our electricity cost was £35/mo with an electric oven used almost every day, at least once a day. We also ran a standard household bungalow and everything else it used, including a server running 24/7.

I shouldn't worry about it too much. The cost was negligable compared to our gas, which was through the roof due to crap insulation in the property.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Stompa wrote: »
    Just to be clear, that's between 3p and 8p per kWh (not per 11kWh).

Sorry, I do apologise, that is what I meant to say :)
    You need to change supplier. I pay just under 10p a unit!

:) I was just wracking my brain for an average. I am on BG Price Guarantee December 2009, so my electricity is 0.8% more expensive, but my gas is around 10% cheaper even after the recent decrease. I'm happy enough.

[My actual prices are (inc VAT) and and with no standing charge:

Gas - first 670kWh per quarter at 7.092p and everything else in that quarter at 2.975p.
    Elec - first 125kWh per quarter at 23.821p and everything else in that quarter at 12.647p.

It was pretty much the best deal I could see at the time without being locked in for years. I wish I'd fixed back in 2005!!!]
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 308 Forumite
    I would go for gas. After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house. Gas is cheaper per KWh.

Also gas ovens have less that could go wrong with them.

I think this ideology is daft. Whilst you could look at this positively
    After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house.
    it also means you dont mind wastage. The latter part is however correct gas is slightly cheaper.

I had a gas oven and it was terrible, very inefficient and when I ripped it out recently was glad (will miss the hob though).
    Also gas ovens have less that could go wrong with them.

Expand on this, what is your reasoning?
    Please support my thanks button if I have been of any help
    >
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Food tastes better cooked in a gas oven.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 308 Forumite
    BexTech wrote: »
    Food tastes better cooked in a gas oven.

Depends on what food. I like my naan breads cooked in a tandoor oven..
    Please support my thanks button if I have been of any help
    >
  • Another question...I live on my own and have a fan assisted built in oven which isn't exactly full when I cook for myself...I've noticed these small ovens you can buy with built in grill for around thirty quid....Would I soon recoup the cost of buying one of these by the savings on not using the large oven?
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Not sure you'd recoup any time soon, but they're fun to use and do use less.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Garz wrote: »
    I think this ideology is daft. Whilst you could look at this positively it also means you dont mind wastage. The latter part is however correct gas is slightly cheaper.

I had a gas oven and it was terrible, very inefficient and when I ripped it out recently was glad (will miss the hob though).

Expand on this, what is your reasoning?

The point is that since gas cookers are flueless, any heat that is not used for cooking will be released into your house. therfore you will use less fuel in your main heating system to maintain the temperature.

In terms of reliability, this is mainly from experinece of both. Electric heating elements seem to have a pretty finite lifespan, gas hobs in particular are just a tap connected to the gas pipe, fairly unlikely to go wrong. The oven is a bit more complicated, but as I said in my practical experience the only thing that has ever gone wrong with our gas cooker is the ignition for the burners went wrong. This was a very old cooker. In contrast when we lived in a rented house with an old electric cooker the thing was constantly breaking. Perhaps newer electric cookers are more reliable.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Garz wrote: »
    Depends on what food. I like my naan breads cooked in a tandoor oven..

Can't argue with that.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure