PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you steam chicken? Pressure cooker?

Hi, long time no type.

I have frozen loads of chicken legs/thighs that were on offer in separate bags. I tend to over cook in oven and they get dry. Can I steam them? Can I microwave them?

They are for 11 month old DS's lunches so need to be well cooked.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Actually, while I'm on here and I'm feeling cheeky, is it worth getting a pressure cooker? I'm undecided but would appreciate it if anyone had an opinion they would like to share.

Really appreciate any help with this.
Always another chapter

Comments

• kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I steam chicken breasts in my steamer and they are lovely and never dry so i'm sure you can steam chicken legs. I'm not sure how long you would need to cook them for but you can't overcook in a steamer.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    hev - legs & thighs are fine to steam in the pressure cooker: season them a little with salt & pepper, put in the steamer basket. they take about 10 minutes in mine.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    oh, and as for getting a pressure cooker: i am a great fan and use mine almost every day. everything cooks very quickly on a very low hob once the pressure is up, so it saves both time and energy. great for stews & casseroles, cooking beans & pulses (no need for lengthy overnight soaking), stock making, steamed puddings including christmas pudding, preserving in kilner jars, pre-cooking fruit for jam making, quick blanching of big batches of vegetables for the freezer, etc. i have only had my pressure cooker for a year or so but wouldn't be without it any more!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Something for the weekend last Sunday did a steamed chicken dish. Layered garlic, ginger and lemongrass under the chicken to flavour it (i know that's not suitable for a baby!) all done in a normal bamboo steamer.
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Something for the weekend last Sunday did a steamed chicken dish. Layered garlic, ginger and lemongrass under the chicken to flavour it (i know that's not suitable for a baby!) all done in a normal bamboo steamer.

Ooooh - have to try that! Or perhaps with basil & garlic? (probably not for DS)

Actually, when you think about it, a few herbs etc won't hurt a little one who is three weeks off his first birthday. I am more cautious about chilli, curry etc. I shall have to think about it. In my current state of mental health that may take some time :D

Meantime he can have chicken steamed over potatoes and carrots. Mmmmmm. We'll be having sausages :T

I suppose I am being over cautious. Anyone who has seen my other posts will know that I have a huge mental block about feeding/weaning DS but the advice I have been given here has been fantastic.
    Always another chapter

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport