December Debt Destruction!!!

Comments

• MancMan86 you have been marked and numbered. However that food bill for two of you is A LOT!!! however very difficult if its just you on board .. so good luck and WELCOME!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I don't think I can comply (is that the word I want?) with all of the challenge's rules. Too many for me to contemplate and can guarantee I will fail. I will follow the rules I think I can achieve and become a December cheerleader instead. I hope though that by 21st Dec (my next payday) I will have £300 left in my accouunt from following NOvember's rules to pay towards my CC debt.

Good luck to those of you braver and stronger than I am :T
  • count me in on this - I've made a start on some of those things in the rules in the last few days but I think this challenge might be quite enjoyable !!! if that's possible. Am in positive mood today though so going to commit now before I change my mind.

StGood
    StartingToGetOutofDebt

October 2012 Debt. Loan £12394.55. Sainsburys CC £3594. Mint CC £4475. MBNA CC £2648.62.Total Debts £23112.17]
    Sealed pot challenge #1887
  • NSK - I suspect this is alot for 2 of us. Will have to see over the next few weeks i think. Until OH is onboard then it may be a bit of a struggle. We dont really have many takeaways, I suspect we could pull in in at £30 a week.
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    • Thischallenge commences on the 01st December 2012 @ 00:01 and finishes on 31stDecember 2012 @ 23:59.
    • Minimum 20 NSD. With a caveat for interview expenses for DS1–should be ok
    • 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OFEXERCISE A WEEK. Easy peasy!
    • Food budget must decided upon before thecommencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you havestarted Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes? ERR no!:eek: No pressies, no food as yet! Whoops. Do have the money for all these in a separate account all ready to go, so will not beusing anything from this month’s money. Will drop day to day food budget by £30though. OK?
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to thecommencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s tobe taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. Ok
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. If you are havinga family day out packed lunches are the only lunches allowed. OK
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn andplaced in envelopes clearly marked for purpose. Prefer not to have the cash lying around (espec at this time of the year, burglars like Christmas time:mad:) so will put it in a virtual pot and only spend from that
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. To qualify for one you must make the same amountof money as you plan to spend all in that same day. These are only foremergencies – if you NEED something. You make £5 on eBay; you are allowed touse it without losing an NSD etc. Shouldn’t need to except for interview expenses as above but nice to know they are there:o
    • An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance,medications, household bills and travel to work.,
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffeeout of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what theyprefer. Will either feed a stray or put something in a charitytin over and above my usual
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5. Got a house full of stuff so that one is easy!
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in yourhouse drink it, then start on the soft drinks. Excellent news, no restriction for girls eh? Ha ha:rotfl::rotfl:
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk. OK
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is inyour cupboards before buying Christmas supplies. Need to work on this one some more. Random crap from Approved foods needs to be used:o
    • Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezerBEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day.Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten? I need to remind myself here – Christmas lasts A DAY, not a month!
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtualstranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year. Down to bare bones already. Christmas cards are being culled though
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhereelse. Not done this for a few years
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets,fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S. Good idea, will get cracking. Can make low fat healthythings that fit in better with restricted low cholesterol diet too
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used toit now!!! Is there a downgrade fromValue?!!
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Have decided againstclothes shopping for a year to cut costs (essential underwear permitted:D) so notallowed to buy until next Sept anyway
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not begiven access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one. Got a big whisky jar which suffices – always put thechange into mortgage overpayments a couple of times a year

And finally - as annoying as this will be ( amongst everything else ) I needyou to keep a spending diary.

I'm in, if the above is allowed!!

l
  • Well done Kat on this great thread, I will be declining for this post,as I do too much this month with the kids,with the £200 I save all year, we do lots of xmas things leading up to the big day,so will be spending a lot of days. I and the kids have gave up alot this year due to my debt so this is well overdue. I really cant wait. Will still do my usual watch with food etc,but will be doing to many cinema,ice skating,santa,craft fairs etc for to compete in this.
    Just to point out the tins for the money saving are only £1 in Poundland or better still just use a tub and put the £1 in it to start it off. All the best guys.
    “Just Say NOvember; Batten Down the Hatches”. #8 £39.30/£[STRIKE]90[/STRIKE]£40 NSD 25/25
    Sept 1st,Halifax, [STRIKE]£650[/STRIKE]/£0.
    Barclays,£[STRIKE]4950[/STRIKE]/£3600,Nationwide,£[STRIKE]2500[/STRIKE]/£2100, Creation £[STRIKE]2445[/STRIKE]/£2370Flybe,£[STRIKE]900[/STRIKE]/£860
    Littlewoods Catalougue £[STRIKE]1120[/STRIKE]/£210
    Argos account £[STRIKE]700[/STRIKE]/£330
  • lozzy81
    lozzy81 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ok... joining in this month! read the rules and many don't apply as i'm not buying gifts... fill up my car with petrol once a month and have my bus pass or work.... 20 NSD??? easy!! will read throught the rules again and make sure i understand them! will print them off to remind myself!
    Virtual sealed pot 2019 member #6 :j
    £0.00/£200 :)
  • skintsue
    skintsue Posts: 172 Forumite
    I'm going to put my name down too please :eek:
    It's going to be a lot harder than NOvember, but if I plan ahead it should be smoother.
    There are only going to be the 3 of us, plus pets, on the Day, so evn if we do have something special it won't break the bank.
    We already have crackers I picked up in a sale last year, the main meal is all but bought, just some trimmings needed, and it will last for at least 3 days as salads, butties and HM soup.
    No chocs, no booze (already given wine a Birthday Present earlier this year), No hangover, no headache tablets, no anti acid tablets.

I'll print the TO DO list off and pin it on the fridge for reference.
    I divorced my First Husband on Religious Grounds:A
    He thought He was God. I didn't!;)
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 November 2012 at 8:42PM
    Hey Everyone!!!

Is great to see so many familiar faces signing up for another month of torture... erm... I mean... thrifty money saving FUN! :snow_laug

SIGN ME UP!!!

I don't personally celebrate Christmas and haven't for the last 10 years - though I do Solstice in a much more sedate and simple way. Being free of the Christmas pressures to buy and spend is something I don't miss... so I feel in some ways I'll have an easier time of it than all of you who have families and get togethers. My thoughts will be with you!!!

So with a 20 NSD
    target = 11 *potential* spend days - I've a few days to book in any social outings with friends.

I've decided to keep the same grocery budget as last month - my usual would be £30 per week but am slashing that to £20 - giving me £80 for December.

I have a few expensive nights (NYE for example) and have been pondering how I can budget my other spends. I've come up with the idea of a

:snow_grinCASH SNOWBALL :snow_grin

• I've decided to allocate £10 per spend day for social engagements and the like (please comment if you feel this amount is excessive). This hopefully will limit over spending/impulse buys. Can keep each £10 in a separate envelope with the planned spend day marked on the front.
    • I'm then going to do a cash snowball... so if I don't use it on spend day 1 - it rolls on to spend day 2 giving me more to play with... and so on - also encouraging me to have more NSD's.
    • Potentially by NYE i could have as a reward anything from £10 - £110 spending money and a great (or very thrifty!) celebration.
    • I feel it's important I spend at least some of this on FUN and not all on debt clearing. That's what slashing our grocery budget and NSDs are for.
    • I'm not spending more than I normally would (usually give myself £30 per week = £120 per month which for me includes clothes, magazines, lunches and nights out etc) - it's just another way of looking at it. If it works then the end of the month could become something to look forward to rather than dread.

Would be lovely if people wanted to do one too - we could all use it as a reward for good behaviour!!! Kat - what do you think...??? Keeping a Spending Diary still applies of course.

The one aspect of DecemberDebtDestruction I KNOW I will struggle with is the 6 x 20 minutes exercise... I've been saying for months I need to get fit again and there's always some excuse... I'm too tired, I can't be bothered, Ive been at work all day etc. I spent £80 on some new trainers a few months back and they've been worn three times - 2 of which were to go to the local shop to buy food lol. I have access to a free gym at work so really have no excuse. I'm just plain lazy and I don't enjoy exercise!!! I will give it my best shot though.

Money Tin on order (am not counting it as a spend day as it's an
    investment and will deduct the £3.15 from my spends in December after the tin arrives). I hope that's fair and ok by everyone.

Right - am off to scrutinise my diary and budget plan!!!

Onwards and Upwards indeed!!!

:rudolf:
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • subscribed!!!!! this is a brilliant thread..... will keep checking in so that everyones progress keeps me motivated.

good luck all :j
    Debt at LBM 1/11/11 Total: £110,849 :eek:
    (Including £70,150 Mortgage).
    Mortgage due to finish 2026. Aiming to be debt/mortgage free 2021 :D:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business