Tesco pet insurance - warning

2»

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Den26 wrote: »
    This happened to me, I cancelled the DD two months ago. The new Tesco brokers reinstated it today and deducted £10. I called them and they said cancelling the DD online was not enough I needed to let them know by phone so I will not get my money back. I put it down to lesson learned.

Insurance policies usually automatically renew unless you contract the insurer to cancel.

According to the Direct Debit Guarantee "You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us."

So, you could contact your bank and ask for a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee, pointing out that you'd cancelled the direct debit authorisation. However, as you hadn't cancelled the insurance policy you may still be liable for the fee.
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Den26 wrote: »
    This happened to me, I cancelled the DD two months ago. The new Tesco brokers reinstated it today and deducted £10. I called them and they said cancelling the DD online was not enough I needed to let them know by phone so I will not get my money back. I put it down to lesson learned.

Contact your bank. Now. Tell them you never authorised the DD to be reinstated, and the debit is not authorised by you. Be firm. The direct debit guarantee is VERY clear on this:

If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.

Note: Your Bank is responsible for refunding you, NOT the company who set up the DD. Your case is covered by the very first example on the Ombudsman page: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure