Claire's accessories earrings

mookie
mookie Posts: 2,655 Forumite
I went to a store today and bought my just under 2 year old daughter a pair of earrings, they were the type they sell for piercing which I understand are usually made from stainless steel. On payment they were very expensive and when queried the sales assistant told me they are 9ct gold, I asked if they were white gold seeing as they are silver coloured and she stated they are. My receipt says 9ct gold RHP which I guess would stand for Rhodium plated.

When I went to put them on my daughter this evening the actual post is really sharp like a pin, even with the backs on they still poke out slightly and I imagine they would be painful to wear when sleeping, so I called the store and was told as they are piercing ones they will be sharper, the pair she currently has are piercing ones and feel quite rounded at the ends so they agreed they might be faulty and to return them to be looked at.

I had a look at the hallmark on the earrings and the website for the company that makes them I think they are as I initially suspected made from surgical steel!

What should I do? If this is the case they are available online for a lot less money and my receipt states they are 9ct gold I was hoping to exchange them for another pair but am not prepared to pay gold prices for surgical steel. Would i be best to go to a jewellers first to confirm what they are made of before heading to the store and what do I do if the staff are unhelpful?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Scaredy_Cat_3
    Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Maybe you should ring Trading Standards if you think the earrings have been misrepresented. I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I would think their advice would be useful when going back to the shop, and they might well suggest you get the earrings evaluated as proof that they are not what the shop claimed they were - but I don't know if a jeweller would do this for free (somehow I doubt it).

Sorry I can't help, but I thought it was worth posting just to suggest you contact Trading Standards (I think they are called Consumer Direct these days).
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    NEVER buy earrings from Claire's for a child of 2. The stuff they sell is generally crap fashion accessories and not suitable for long term use, especially in a child so little.

Go to a reputable piercer and get some half decent, shorter post studs for her.

To be honest, I think you are brave, because the scrapes and tumbles kids of that age get into ripping out earrings is a very real risk.
  • mookie
    edited 5 May 2009 at 7:52PM
    NEVER buy earrings from Claire's for a child of 2. The stuff they sell is generally crap fashion accessories and not suitable for long term use, especially in a child so little.

Go to a reputable piercer and get some half decent, shorter post studs for her.

To be honest, I think you are brave, because the scrapes and tumbles kids of that age get into ripping out earrings is a very real risk.

I would usually agree with their stuff being cheap tat except these are not the general fashion type earrings, they are the standard studex brand which are what all piercing stores sell wherever I bought them they usually only offer this or the Caflon brand.

She's had her ears pierced since very young I didnt go to Claire's either they were done by a lady with several years experience (she pierced my friends ears as a baby so at least 25 years), I know some people do not agree with the choice of ear piercing so young but thats not at debate. ;)

I just feel slightly annoyed that regardless of if the earrings are faulty if they are miss selling them as gold (and I really dont think they are), there is the allergy issue for some as well as the over pricing issue if they are not gold.

I have to go to a local independent jewellers to pick up an 18th pressie for my niece I'm sure they wont mind taking a look to confirm for me.
  • pulliptears
    Forumite
    Im not judging mookie. Not my place to.

The problem is that studs are so much longer they will stick in the skin behind the ear. My DD has bought from there before and had the same problem (she's 11 now but would have been 8 or 9 at the time)

You can buy shorter post studs which would probably be more comfortable for her.

But yes, I agree you should get a refund as its very misleading.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I had my ears pierced several times at Claire's Accessories, and the ones they use for piercing DO have a really sharp point on them. Definitely not comfortable for sleeping in!

Just take them back, show them the marking stating it's surgical steel, yet your receipt states it's gold, then ask for a refund.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TBH, I'd be very surprised if the sales assistant in Claire's could actually confirm that it was 9ct gold...as far as I'm aware they're not trained jewelers, and Claire's itself basically just sells cheap (or maybe not so) fashion accessories.

I'd also be very surprised if they were selling *actual* 9ct gold earrings...I'd suspect they'd more likely be gold plated or rolled gold rather than totally, 100% gold. Usually if it's actually gold there will be a hallmark somewhere, but not sure with earrings...
  • pulliptears
    Forumite
    TBH, I'd be very surprised if the sales assistant in Claire's could actually confirm that it was 9ct gold...as far as I'm aware they're not trained jewelers, and Claire's itself basically just sells cheap (or maybe not so) fashion accessories.

I'd also be very surprised if they were selling *actual* 9ct gold earrings...I'd suspect they'd more likely be gold plated or rolled gold rather than totally, 100% gold. Usually if it's actually gold there will be a hallmark somewhere, but not sure with earrings...

I only bought earrings from Claire's once and the resulting mess my ear was left in taught me not to buy them again lol I also made the mistake once of buying nose studs from there, again, very poor quality that really irritates a piercing.

The sharp points to the studs are to enable them to pierce the skin quicker and less painfully when fired from the gun, but of course it makes them very sharp at the back.

OP, have you considered very small gold sleepers? They would need to be quite snug fitting to the ear so your DD doesnt catch them, but they are a good solution.
  • mookie
    edited 6 May 2009 at 11:20AM
    Thanks for all your replies, I have called the manufacturer who have said they make this design in 14ct gold and stainless steel, I have googled 14ct instead of 9ct and found the same ones, so they may well be white gold afterall but wrongly sold as 9ct. And probably why I could only find them online in stainless steel!

I am going to confirm this with the jeweller.. If they are gold then my husband thinks they will be ok if he files the points lightly as I think i will have a battle on my hands trying to refund them just because they are sharp, her other earrings are sharp but the way the back sits it kind of protects the point better than these do if that makes sense. The manufacturer basically said they are sharp and they pierce young childrens ears all the time so not interested.

I will post back later if I get them sorted. I have to say I am surprised that Claires sell white gold...my mum even said oh dont be so stupid they dont sell gold. lol

Pulliptears, yes I think sleepers are lovely but she never touches her studs I wonder if changing the style may draw attention to them and she'll start fiddling with them.
  • NVRAM
    NVRAM Posts: 298 Forumite
    Definatley sound misrepresented and not what you bought, take em back.

OT: earrings for a <2yr old? :mad:
    Shoudln't that be the childs decision if/when rather than being made to have them.
    just my tuppence, feel theres absolutley no reason whatsoever to do this to such a young child and yes I have piercings before anyone picks up on this.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    NVRAM wrote: »
    OT: earrings for a <2yr old? :mad:
    Shoudln't that be the childs decision if/when rather than being made to have them.
    just my tuppence, feel theres absolutley no reason whatsoever to do this to such a young child and yes I have piercings before anyone picks up on this.

I wholly agree. Only chavs and the completely misguided would make a child so young have a piercing. What next - a tongue stud? :rolleyes:
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport