Ford Ka - problems starting

nicki_2
nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Can I just point out now that I DON'T DRIVE and the extent of my knowledge of engines is almost ZIP! We have a Haynes manual but OH and I are not exactly mechanics hence why I'm asking here :D

Right we have a Ford Ka (approximately March 2000 when first used by the previous previous owner) and there seems to be a problem with starting it. When the key is turned in the ignition the radio etc comes on fine but then the engine itself won't start when you click it around to the next position in the ignition. It can take upto 10 attempts to get it going. Yesterday it stalled half-way up a big hill and wouldn't start again until about attempt 10. Not good when it's one just off a motorway! :eek:

We have already spent £300 on a MOT, service & repairs at Kwik Fit this month (we're with them for insurance so we get a discount and thats the only reason we use them!) so we can't afford to take it back again.

Can anyone help? If you need more info I can probably get it but my OH is at work so it might not be immediate. Please help, this car has already cost us £1000+ in repairs since we got it 3 years in September :mad:
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    Does the engine turn over but not actually catch? How is it once it has been driven a while and warmed up? My first thought is that the automatic choke might not be working properly, or there is a problem with a fuel filter (blocked) or fuel pump.
  • What happens when you turn the key? Can you hear the engine turning over or can you hear a clicking noise from the engine area? If not, it sounds like the ignition switch is faulty.
  • nicki_2
    The radio, fan, dashboard lights etc come on but there is no sound at all from the engine. :confused:
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • I'd say faulty ignition switch then.
  • nicki_2
    Problem has been solved - the sparkplugs were overly old apparently, and one had snapped off in the head (:confused:) so with a new set of sparkplugs it's working amazing well. Plus it only cost us £35 to have a mechanic do it for us :j I prefer to pay the little garages rather than big companies like Kwik Fit ;)
  • nicki_2
    Okay we've got another problem with our car :mad: (The idea of getting a new-to-us one or a new one on finance is starting to slowly appear at the back of my mind :mad::mad::mad: ) ....

When the ignition key is turned, everything still comes on as it did before hand except the temperature light :confused: I have no idea what this means, at first it was fine with the sparkplugs replaced but lately it's starting to not start :confused: Has anyone got any ideas please? We can't afford any more car repair bills! :o
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    sounds like its just a bulb, take the clocks out and replace the right 1

as for starting, it'll have the old pushrod engine in they go forever but without more clues i cant really help, but these engines ar every simple and cheap to fix, i usually find problems stem from the coil pack (thats the spark plug leads go to) scrappies would want a fiver or so

tell me whats the sympoms and ill try to help

with the heads, if the thread went in a head i would just replace the head, they are very very cheap to but and less than an hours work to swap on these
  • nicki_2
    Thank you!

My partner (who is the driver) is away at the minute on business with the car. When he gets back I'll try and get some more details from him. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure