Nightime barking

:( Please can anyone give me some advice?

I have two 1 year old bichon frise pups (brother and sister). They sleep together in a cage/crate and always have done. Until a few nights ago I have never really had any problem with them, once they go to bed that's it until the next morning.

However, 3 nights ago the barking started and it just didn't stop, no matter what I did. The following night it continued so much so that someone came out into the street complaining - rightly so - but everything we did did not stop the barking.

There has been no change in routine, no change of anything within the house or family.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please as we all need our sleep!
Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org

Comments

• pixelation
    pixelation Posts: 157 Forumite
    Poor you, that sounds difficult.
    Is it possible they can hear something that you can't? Something very high-pitched? Any new electrics?
    If you found this post useful please will you click "thank you"? It cheers me up. :j
  • Have you checked the back and front doors and garden for signs of intruders, whether human dognappers or foxes?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Hi both and thanks for the replies,

There are no new sounds, yes we have foxes coming and going but that is quite normal. The dogs are in a room at the front of the house in their crate/cage, also in this room is the fridge and the freezer. Do you think with it having been so hot that the either of the appliances could have been working overtime fan wise?

I must add though that since the pups had their citronella collars on at night, they haven't barked!! I take them off in the day but put them on just before bed, and we have had two lovely nights sleep :D

I'm not sure that I want them to always wear them at night, but need to be sure that they don't bark and keep us all awake!
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • BonitaG
    BonitaG Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hi,
    given the rise in temperature I suspect parasites. You saying citronella collars stop them from barking, they also keep insects away.
    Take all the bedding out of the cage and wash it at as high a temperature as possible and desinfect the cage (and surrounding areas) with flea spray.

Do you regulary treat or wash the dogs against flea? If you havent in the last 4 weeks, now is the time. Not sure I would want the dogs to wear collars while on their own (danger of strangulation), if you treat them with a good product against a wide range of bloodsuckers that could be an effective alternative.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    By citronella collars do you mean the ones that squirt? Many experts don't recommend these, they may be part of the problem because you are not training your dogs not to bark during the day, just punishing them. Might be worth watching a few episodes of 'It's Me or the Dog' where Victoria Stilwell talks about and trains without these sort of devices.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • A male and female BF would be extremely useful to someone wanting a pair of dogs to breed. They wouldn't care about whether they are littermates or not, and could have seen them being walked/that their bed is at the front of the house.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family