tumble dryer whats best?

Comments

• catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have had 2 vented tumbledryers in the past and now have a condensing one which I hate. It takes for ever to dry clothes and covers everything in the room it is in in fluff. It is a good make and was not cheap. People have told me it should not send out fluff but I know a couple of friends who also say their condensing tumbledryers do that.

I have only had it a couple of years but am so sick of it I am getting rid of it and going back to a vented one
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Sorry to but in on thread but does anyone know where i can get a vent pipe?? for my tumble dryer. Cheap as poss please. Thanks in advance.

Rebecca x

Found the part i needed at a shop through Quidco so will get 8% back.
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    I love my condenser dryer I am happy to empty the water and filter each cycle and it has it's own little cupboard to it is hidden and less noisy.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ozskin wrote:
    only go for condense if you cant vent. most a reverse but if you want a bargain there is a white knight is the same as the bosch, just a diff badge, would never recommend bosch now

Sorry to sound thick, but are you saying the White Knight is made by Bosch?
    My Bosch TD went kaput this week and I'm looking at £90+ fitting for a new element, but I've seen a WK end of line for £119
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have an aeg.It doesnt dispense fluff (there is a filter on the back of the door that collects this).I dont empty the water each cycle,far from it-it takes days or a week or mor to fill up.With mine you dont estimate the drying time, it has a sensor that switches off when dry.It also has an alarm that you can set if you want to to tell you when its finished.You can also switch it on on "delay" ie 3 6 or 9 hours before it starts.All these features are better for me than a box standard one,but they cost more.Also it doesnt dispel any damp air(we have in in a cupboard so we would definitely notice.)
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    White Knight TD's are made in Hipperolme in West Yorkshire by a company called Crosslees.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • IF YOU CAN GO FOR A VENTED.
    I have had both types and there are several reasons why I vote vented. They are typically cheaper, less hassle, and the damp air is expelled out the house. Our condensing one is used in a small room and manages to expell a lot of damp air into the room, we have to use it with the window open. My sister doesnt seem to have this problem though as hers seems to be a better design.
  • this topic has been covered so many times before. condensing ones are overall more efficient if kept inside the house (not the garage) because although they may take slightly longer all the heat goes into the house instead of the garden! This means that your dryer effectively becomes an electric heater that reduces the conventional heating requirement in your house. No good in the summer though especially if you have to put the A/C on to counteract it! However many people dry clothes outside in the summer anyway. If you look at my previous posts you will find the technical expalanation of why condensor dryers are more efficient overall. Dont be tricked by the A rated ones. Most achieve this by not heating and simply tumbing for hours and hours! If you dont mind this then thats ok but dont expect it to produce A rated efficieny on a one hour cycle!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    abbecer wrote:
    Sorry to but in on thread but does anyone know where i can get a vent pipe?? for my tumble dryer. Cheap as poss please. Thanks in advance./QUOTE]

Most of the DIY stores should do them - Focus and B&Q definitely do.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Hi, I was hunting tonight for a condenser dryer, and one of the googles linked to here, so was interested to read your comments.

I have a Zanussi tumble dryer which is 23 years old and works perfectly, however, yesterday the little plastic catch in the door broke off, we think it may just have got rather old and snapped off, we have tried to glue it back on withAraldite but no luck. Hence looking around what there is out there.

Our dryer is vented to outside of the house, and reading the foregoing it seems most of you prefer to vent outside, so may go with that. Has anybody any idea, before we take the plunge for a new dryer, whether you can get parts for a dryer as old as ours? If we press the door shut with our hands, it works perfectly but cannot stand there forever and we have really missed it today with all this rain.

Most of them seem to be c rated, I know ours uses a lot of electricity but do not know how much. I do use the cool dry and the hot dry, which some of them seem to have.
    I think from reading your comments above that a reverse action is a good idea, ours just goes one way.

Anyway, if anybody can help with getting spares for old machines, would be obliged, otherwise its going to have to be a new machine. Sending for somebody to come and do it will cost nearly as much as a new machine and it looks as if we can fit one ourselves if we can get a new catch!!!

Best wishes, oap
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport