ASDA Petrol - Debit card payment not yet taken

ShaneUK
ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi All

I paid for some fuel around 20th December, but it still hasn't been taken. It isn't even showing within the "pending transactions" amount.

Do shops have a maximum time in which they are permitted to collect?

I am not saying that I don't want to pay it - just would like it collected if they are going to collect it!!

Thanks

Shane

Comments

• Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    What debit card is it? Maestro or VISA?

However yes, the acquirer has up to 30 days to present the transaction, however if after 30 days, if the account is still in good standing then it will still be honored.
    So...if you are not debited after 30 days, then if you transfer the money to a new account and close the old one, then you won't have to pay.
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    It was known in my area that one of the pumps in the local Asda was not taking payment from one certain pump. It only lasted a couple of days, but it was hilarious to see all these empty pumps, and then loads of people qeueing up for one pump.

Asda got it sorted pretty damn quick though!
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Although statute of limitations is 6 YEARS! So although they may not be able to present the card transaction, they could still technically chase you for the money by other means.
  • Viper_7
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Although statute of limitations is 6 YEARS! So although they may not be able to present the card transaction, they could still technically chase you for the money by other means.

No, under the POS they have to present within 30 day, tough if they don't.

They would have a hard time chasing it by other means when they don't follow the MCE/VISA POS rules in the first place.
    The cardholder has paid, the Acquirer has failed to claim the monies back from the issuer, so the issuer won't debit the account.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Viper_7 wrote: »

They would have a hard time chasing it by other means when they don't follow the MCE/VISA POS rules in the first place.
    The cardholder has paid, the Acquirer has failed to claim the monies back from the issuer, so the issuer won't debit the account.
    Oh I didn't know that, thanks.
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    gaz_jones wrote: »
    It was known in my area that one of the pumps in the local Asda was not taking payment from one certain pump. It only lasted a couple of days, but it was hilarious to see all these empty pumps, and then loads of people qeueing up for one pump.

Asda got it sorted pretty damn quick though!

I'm amazed a staff member didn't twig it quick sharp and put the out of order on the pumps!
  • Zanzibar
    Zanzibar Posts: 193 Forumite
    Where is that stiplulated?

I've spoken a few times to credit card processing for various providers and say they keep accounts open for late payment processing for literally years - even after a card is cancelled.
  • Viper_7
    Yes, if the card is cancelled then yes the acquirer could still get the money from the issuer, if the issuer is able to obtain it from the original card holder.

If the cardholders account after 30 days is closed and they have moved on etc they may not be able to obtain it, but sure they keep hold of the data. I don't have the specs to hand, but it's in there.
    In most cases though after 30 days, the Acquirers still get their cash but it's not guarenteed
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    I'm amazed a staff member didn't twig it quick sharp and put the out of order on the pumps!

They are unmaned pumps. Card payment only. It must have been going on for quite a while though for people to finally realise it wasn't taking payment.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    I had a similar issue last year, although not with petrol, and when I phoned the bank to ask, they said I have to allow 6 months!!!
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure