'Shame on Nationwide – no, I won't give you my security details' blog discussion

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Simon_c wrote: »
    I get really cross with these calls too. It's bad enough when it's a genuine reason for the call, but when you call back on the published customer service number and they have no record of the call or why it just gets worse. I normally ask them how I know it's whatever bank it is, and that normally flummoxes them. The only time I was presently surprised by the way the call worked out was when it was Barclays security who were querying a transaction. They seemed fine that I wouldn't give security details, and went ahead with explaining the problem anyway. I've been on at every institution who calls me for ages how bad this is, and how it trains their customers in insecure practices, but nobody listens. It needs someone with the clout of you Martin to really embarrass them into sharpening up their practices.

Yes, I had a good opinion of Barclays Bank when they called my home. It was frustrating that they wouldn't discuss why they wanted to speak to my OH (who was out when they rang) but I was impressed when they rang back and spoke to my OH...........to discover that they were concerned about unusual activity on the credit card.

Barclays Bank seem to be pretty good.

I'm a customer of the Nationwide but I've never had a phone call from them. My experience has been very good so far. When I go into the Nationwide branch, the staff are very friendly and polite.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • adecor
    adecor Posts: 269
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had this with Metro too
  • They would not stop pestering me with calls and text messages asking to ring back.

When I did ring - they didn't know what I was contacted for!

This went on for about 3 weeks!!!

on a side note I don't think Nationwide are too bad as it goes it is just this daft problem I had with them.
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've had this with the Royal Bank of Scotland, I complained to my local branch, and haven't been contacted again. (Also hate the way the tellers count out loud if I'm getting cash at the counter, there's a queue of people watching and listening!)
    My son had a call from his bank today because he had had a large sum paid in to his current account (from another bank) and they wanted to check he was entitled to it!

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • LardyCake
    LardyCake Posts: 290
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes I've had this type of call, I always refuse to give them any information and explain why - "I don't know who you are". I ask which department they are from and call the published number.

Martin, I'm surprised you've only just become aware of this issue but hopefully you can make the banks, credit card companies and the public see why this is such bad practice. Good luck.

One possible solution: to amend their systems so you can set-up a "reverse password" which you can ask the person calling for (in whole or part).
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ellie99 wrote: »
    I've had this with the Royal Bank of Scotland, I complained to my local branch, and haven't been contacted again. (Also hate the way the tellers count out loud if I'm getting cash at the counter, there's a queue of people watching and listening!)
    My son had a call from his bank today because he had had a large sum paid in to his current account (from another bank) and they wanted to check he was entitled to it!

Surely all bank tellers do that? It's standard practise to show you that they are in fact handing you the right amount of money - otherwise you could just step away from the counter, slip a note in your pocket and complain you were short changed.
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Surely all bank tellers do that? It's standard practise to show you that they are in fact handing you the right amount of money - otherwise you could just step away from the counter, slip a note in your pocket and complain you were short changed.

I see your point Callum, hadn't thought of that.
    A couple of times I've withdrawn enough to buy a second hand car, it made me really uncomfortable to know the queue behind me would hear how much I was leaving with, maybe it's because I'm female? I asked the teller to not say it out loud, they were ok with that.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    KTF wrote: »
    If you 'never give personal information to people on the phone' then I assume that you never have cause to phone up any company that requires some sort of authentication?
    If you are phoning the company at one of the numbers that you already know for it, you can be sure that you are speaking with a representative of the company. The problem is if you receive a call, because calling line identification can be forged, so you have no reliable initial indication of whether it is the bank or me or a criminal or a radio host calling you to obtain details.
  • sidsmum
    sidsmum Posts: 66 Forumite
    I had a call from my Bank once offering me a loan, "But first can I take some security details?" I said they couldn't as I hadn't asked them to phone me and I didn't want a loan anyway. I was quite annoyed at the time.
  • Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Had this a few years ago from my bank, at the time I was concerned there was an issue with my account (ie fraud, messup on a purchase), took ages getting through the security, I'm rubbish at remembering the nth letter of the answer to the 101th question but that's the point of security, it's not supposed to be easy.

I was fuming :mad: when it turned out the purpose of the call was to market another of the accounts with a monthly fee

Next year they called again, this time I was on the ball and responded "If it's a marketing call then I'm not interested, if it's important/urgent about my account then send a secure message I can read and I'll read the call centre back"

Lesson learn't :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport