Turkey crown prices?

I was planning on getting my turkey crown this week from Morrisons to freeze, btu was shocked that they had almost doubles in price :eek: Previously I had seen them from £8-9 for a decent size, now they were £14-16! Does anyone know where I can get one at a good price? We are having a very frugal Christmas this year so need to cut costs everywhere!

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Have you a local butcher? Supermarkets will be buying from the big Bernard Matthews type producers who will be puttiing up their prices because of the bird flu incidents recently.

We have just been to Bury market where turkey crowns were under a tenner for a family of 6-8 size....I have ordered one from my usual butcher for collection on Christmas Eve.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    We have two excellent local butchers, both sadly out of our price range this Christmas. I'll be buying our goosefat, sausagemeat and bacon from there though :)
  • Hi, I bought a Turkey Crown from Aldi during the week, it weighs 2.8kg and cost £6.99. I shopped around and this was the cheapest I saw for that size. I didn't try Lidl, but they usually have good buys as well.
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • i also got mine from aldi, did the same last year and it was very nice!
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    I was wondering where to get my turkey crown from also, are they quite big in aldi???
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • R4pture_2
    R4pture_2 Posts: 227 Forumite
    im sure they are still about £8 or £9 in TESCOs
    Current Debt : FEB 2010 - £10,000, OCT 2010 - £5,000 :j
    Competitions Won : ->:rotfl: HAHA Don't be silly Been Comping for 2 years! Still no wins!:rotfl:
  • H, I checked the websites before buying - Tesco's were £10 and Sainsbury's were £12 for similar size to the one I bought in Aldi for £7
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • they are a decent size in aldi, we manage to get four adult size xmas dinners out of it plus boxing daydinner, then there is always plenty left for sandwhichs or curry
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Sorry to be thick... probably a stupid question... but what makes you prefer to buy a turkey crown to a whole turkey? Doesn't it work out cheaper to buy a whole trukey and just discard the legs if you really don't like the meat on legs?
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • We always have turkey crown as well as it lasts for christmas and boxing day, any longer than that and it goes to waste.
    I hate migraines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport