PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with bad credit history

Can I ask for peoples experiences on this one or any information you can offer?

We're about to put our house on the market & have decided we would prefer to rent for 2 years while we decide whether the area we choose is defintaly for us.

We will have a large amount of equity from the sale of our house which will be put in a ISA or similar once we sell to use as a deposit when we decide we want to buy again.

We do have debts & have defaulted on a couple, we are in a DMP & are paying them as much as we can at the moment, but obviously as soon as the house is sold, they will all be paid off.

I've been looking at a few houses this morning & they all ask for credit searches, references etc, now our credit search will not be good :eek:

Do you think it will be a problem for us to rent? We've never missed a mortgage payment in 10 years, so hopefully this will be seen as a good thing! We are also willing to offer 6 months or even a years worth of rent in advance to secure the right house.

Any thoughts?
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• carriel wrote:
    We are also willing to offer 6 months or even a years worth of rent in advance to secure the right house.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't do that. What if the landlord stops paying the mortgage? He gets repossessed, you get evicted and you'd have to get your money back off him.
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    carriel wrote:
    Can I ask for peoples experiences on this one or any information you can offer?

We're about to put our house on the market & have decided we would prefer to rent for 2 years while we decide whether the area we choose is defintaly for us.

We will have a large amount of equity from the sale of our house which will be put in a ISA or similar once we sell to use as a deposit when we decide we want to buy again.

We do have debts & have defaulted on a couple, we are in a DMP & are paying them as much as we can at the moment, but obviously as soon as the house is sold, they will all be paid off.

I've been looking at a few houses this morning & they all ask for credit searches, references etc, now our credit search will not be good :eek:

Do you think it will be a problem for us to rent? We've never missed a mortgage payment in 10 years, so hopefully this will be seen as a good thing! We are also willing to offer 6 months or even a years worth of rent in advance to secure the right house.

Any thoughts?

Lots of agents don't bother credit checking. You could always go with a private landlord.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • Me and my partner both have defaults on our credit history, but we rent through a private landlady. She didn't ask for a credit check - only character references.
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts! :j:j
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    for a landlord the problem will be that they won't be able to rent insurance without credit checking you.

I would consider you if you paid 6 months rent up front, otherwise not. Sorry.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • carriel_2
    carriel_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Thank you for the feedback & its good to hear a landlords point of view.

I know we arent a risk, but I can understand a landlord thinking twice about renting to someone with a bad credit history, I know if it were me, it would cause me concern.

I'm glad that the offer of advance rent would be something a landlord would consider, makes me feel a lot happier about it all. I've since spoken to an agent too & she said that alot of people receive bad credit searches, & that an offer of advance rent really helps.:money:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There are a lot of people with debt problems in this country.

There are a lot of people not in a position to own property.

These two groups have an overlap. If no landlord would consider anyone with a bad credit rating there would be a lot of homeless people around. On the other hand landlords need to protect themselves or they wouldn't be in business.

Being prepared to pay a large deposit and/ or rental up front will show a landlord good intent.

I give my tenant a copy of the buildings insurance. This means they know that, not only the building is insured, but that the mortgage company is aware the property is rented out. (As mortgage companies require notification of the building insurance.) This means the tenant is secure in knowing that, if there was a mortgage problem, the mortgage company would be aware there was a tenant to consider.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    i would be impressed with the honesty you have shown here, and if you came to me with your mortgage payment records, and bank statements for several months, and the offer of rent in advance, i would offer you a tenancy - after checking out with your current employers. good luck with your search.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    I'd agree with the 2 previous posts, an honest declaration, an offer of double deposit and say rent payable 3 months in advance?
    Definitely a good idea to take your mortgage statements to show your ability to pay / budget.
  • Why are you renting?

If you have equity in your house, get a mortgage!!
    Mortgage Brokers will fall over themselves to lend to you if you have a good deposit (25% or more)

When you come up against greedy landlords, they want to cover themselves, credit checks, references, large deposits. Why bother???
    Just buy, you are paying someones mortgage anyway

James
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Oh dear.

Why are you renting?

If you have equity in your house, get a mortgage!!

Why?

Renting is often cheaper, is more flexible, and it doesn't cost thousands of pounds in lost money like buying and selling after 2 years would do.

And when prices have tripled in 10 years, would you say it's impossible for them to fall, or that they will triple again?
    Just buy, you are paying someones mortgage anyway

If you have £200,000 invested and you earn £10,000/year from it, but then use it buy a house, how much money do you earn from your house?

The answer is zero

So if you are paying less than £10,000 a year in rent, then you are better off by not buying, aren't you?

Owning a property is not free, because you either pay interest on a mortgage (which costs money, just as rent does), or you lose interest/income on sinking the money into the house.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure