Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

Comments

• jamtart6 wrote: »
    I'm pretty fluent in French and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening, its just sitting the bloomin exams that I seem to be naff at (I am gutted with my C at A-Level but have an A* GCSE) reckon this would be any good to tutor??

Also got a degree in geography - reckon there is much call for tutors? probably not :(

I believe that primary schools are going to have to provide some foreign language teaching in the not too distant future. If you have some spare time, and could volunteer for a bit, lots of schools would jump at the chance to supplement their PPA cover costs with a bit of free french tuition and you would then have some experience when the jobs became available.
    My DD did about 5 lessons of spanish in year 5 and 5 lessons of french in year 6 as a taster.

There are also French classes in our area provided by a franchise (I think) called La Jolle Rounde. No idea what the criteria are or the costs but the site might be worth a look.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Thanks. I'll look and see if there's any agencies who are hiring.

dmg, are you studying for your PGCE part-time? I'm also interested in a career change and I've been thinking about going into adult education.

Sorry so long to reply, yes, I am doing the PGCE part time at Nottingham.

Ystrad, by charging £5 an hour I am keeping it as an informal arrangement. Therefore I do not need to pay tax, NI, public liability insurance etc. The people that I tutor would not be able to afford £15, and if I was paying that much, I would expect the tutor to have a teaching qualification.

It really is down to personal choice as to what you charge. I work with the children of friends, and by charging less I get much more back in return - gifts (ice cream!), nights out paid for etc.

The primary reason why I do it is because I love working with children. No matter how skilled you are in an area, please do not even consider tutoring if you do not enjoy being around children.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    No matter how skilled you are in an area, please do not even consider tutoring if you do not enjoy being around children.

Very sound advice.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • Maths at Warwick.

Wow. You must be flippin' clever. Why do you want to tutour? You should have some great options (as long as you got 2:1 + )
  • The PGCE has now been changed to Petles and Kettles? Er...no idea what the letters are - either way the course is the same, two years. Oh, you don't have to have a degree to get a teaching qualification (it used to be the CertEd).

They are all part time courses usually one evening a week (dependent on the college that's running it). This will cover lesson plans, SoW, practical teaching (oh yes, you will need to aquire 60 hours of teaching per year - normally over 9 students at any one go), learning styles, risk assessment.....

The government (local council/Student finance bods) can give you a grant to cover the cost of the course.

It may well pay you to ask at a local adult education college and see if you can take evening classes.

Merlin
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »

Ystrad, by charging £5 an hour I am keeping it as an informal arrangement. Therefore I do not need to pay tax, NI, public liability insurance etc. The people that I tutor would not be able to afford £15, and if I was paying that much, I would expect the tutor to have a teaching qualification.

you should be declaring the income and paying associated taxes/NI. All earnings are taxable.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did some maths tutoring about 10 years ago. I found it pretty easy TBH and there were people out there desperate for maths tutors. Like everything, it does involve time and effort though, so when I started a full time job I valued my time as being more important than the money.

I worked via an agency.
    Happy chappy
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Could anybody recommend any good agencies as this is something I am considering too.??
    Thanks
    Viks
  • I would sugget you go into one or more of the local schools you would like to work with and ask firstly if they ever recommend private tuition and secondly which agency they use for supply teachers. Also look out for employment fairs as these agencies often attend them. Good luck.
    I also tutor maths privately but only ever get pupils on personal recommendation, both me to them and vice versa.:rotfl:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    jessicamb wrote: »
    you should be declaring the income and paying associated taxes/NI. All earnings are taxable.

I know that I should be declaring it, however I am well under the tax and NI thresholds, so prefer to keep it informal. If I was charging £15 an hour, and/ or earning above the relevant thresholds, I would of course declare my earnings.

I would of course advise anyone that wanted to do this to stay within the law. My choice not to declare the monies that I receive is suitable for my circumstances, and each individual should decide on what this wish to do.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport