Discuss the Cheap Wine Discount Finder tool

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 October 2012 at 8:11PM in Shop but don't drop
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, we've built a new Wine Discount Finder tool to uncover hidden sales at Tesco Wine, Majestic, M&S & Slurp.

If you could let us know what you think, that would be fab. How are the results for you? Are there any stores you'd like to see added?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Lara44
    Lara44 Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    A range rather than a maximum price per bottle would be good. Links to reviews in the press?
    :A :heartpuls June 2014 / £2014 in 2014 / £735.97 / 36.5%
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    As above and add Morrisons to the list of shops. If reviews are added then include shops mentioned in the review.
  • It would be good to see some kind of rating from other customers or wine experts to get an idea of what other people think of the wine.

I like it without though and would use it.
  • lb364
    lb364 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Interesting tool. Personally don't buy cases of wine but if it could search all supermarkets for prices/offers on single bottles then I would, esp. champagne...
  • Kerrynl
    Kerrynl Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Please add Zinfandel grape to the search and agree with others, I'd like to be able to search for my favourite brand.
  • Looks like a good idea.
    Some suggestions:
    1) Can you search on multiple countries and/or add Region? For example, I prefer New World wine and so it would be great if that was an option
    2) Not sure if it's because it is in development but would expect some more information to be available once I click on Wine Info e.g. the year (don't know if you're getting a good deal unless you know the year!)
    3) Actually, being able to search by year would be quite useful too; probably asking too much now!!
    GC 2016 Jan £259.35/£250 Feb £lost track/£250 Mar £163.70/£250
    Emergency Fund Savings Target £600/£2,400
    Other Savings Target £664.50/£1,000
    NSD Mar 6/16
    Stoozed spend offset £1,225.20/£3,300
  • fizzyfish
    fizzyfish Posts: 240 Forumite
    Curious why only one of the big 4 supermarkets is represented?

Not a fan myself as I don't think encouraging finding super cheap booze is a good thing necessarily.

There is the issue of deals not available across the Scottish border, because of the reason above

Will every page, if it does go ahaed, verify location to gain correct deal, and also drinkaware link too?

I think lots of things could be added to this, but not a drinker or a fan of those who drink to excess, so sorry I can't be more positive to this tool:o
  • I realise that the tool is still in development. It must be a big job to get each of the suppliers to supply links to their products. it is unlikely that Morrisons will sign up as they do not have an online presence other than their offers sheets.
    I would wonder if it is worth spending your time developing this tool though.
    mysupermarket.com have the facility to check prices per bottle in each of their supermarkets. Not a per case option though. This also sorts out the difference between English and Scottish pricing by registering your postcode.
    Would it not be possible to link to this site rather than re-invent another wheel.

Keep up the good work generally though.
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, thanks for all your feedback. Just to let you know, prices are nationwide (including Scotland) for all the stores we feature.
  • To match the degree of choice of some of the online sellers [eg. Naked, who you mention - I have also used Virgin & Laithwaites, to get the intro offers anyway, why not add them too? ;-] you're going to have to write a lot more parameters and drop downs.
    At least try to include a grape 'other' choice - it's what i usually buy ;->
    Otherwise you'll end up with a straight alternative to the mysupermarket facility [for the infussy end of the market] or the Wines Direct one [for the other]... and is that worth the time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure