Begging request on ebay

Comments

• browneyedbazzi
    browneyedbazzi Posts: 3,405
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her! :D

That makes sense! In that circumstance I'd just ignore and delete the message. Cheeky mare.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • I had an email similar to the one you received yesterday on eBay. The one I received was from the father of a disabled child who would love to have the item I was selling to give to their mother who cared for them for Mothers Day. They asked me to end the listing and sell the item to them for £15. I had the item listed at a starting price of £80.

I replied to the email advising the item for sale was priced already at 1/2 price therefore was not willing to sell it for any less. I reported the reply I got to eBay. The person was incredibly rude, extremely insulting and needed their mouth washed out with a bar of soap when I refused. Shocking behaviour. I wish I hadn't replied :(
    Never look down on anyone unless you are bending to help them up.....
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Hey, my disabled child would really love it too AND I have hard circumstances. I mean, okay my child isn't disabled, and okay I don't have a child, but I'd still really love it! Please send to Prince Akutwengo At 55 Scam Street, Scam Avenue, Scamdinavia, Nigeria and I will send you a MoneyGram upon receipt.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his! :rotfl:
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    FatVonD wrote: »
    A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his! :rotfl:

I wonder which one got more offers! :eek:
  • suki1001
    suki1001 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2013 at 12:35PM
    I doubt anyone who is genuinely in that situation would actually do anything like that.

And if they are going round doing that - imagine how many other people they are contacting, it would probably be a real money spinner as people are guilt tripped into sending things for free. It's great using a computer - because nobody can see who you really are.

We were party to a scam online, that we didn't fall for btw. The guy came to us wanting us to do some work and kept coming back to us but nothing materialised - I really want you to do the work for me. Things looked like they were going ahead. Then at the same time he asked us to do another completely seperate transaction that was basically a credit card scam. As soon as we said no, he got really nasty and tried to make us feel really guilty by saying things like "I thought you folks were real family types, but I guess i was wrong" We told him not to pay us for the other work and that we were unable to work with him. Thanksfully he went away.

So, if you do say no, expect a really nasty backlash, it's just a typical way they behave. Personally, do contact the eBay team, but don't answer the scammers back, the chances are they'll be doing it to loads of people on there and ebay can close their account down.
    MSE Forum's favourite nutter :T
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    I had one before when I was selling a new mobile on ebay I had when renewed my contract. Basically saying her kid really wanted one, she was a single parent, father had stopped sending money as he had cancer and she couldnt afford it. If I gave it to her for £10 it would put a smile on her kids face but God bless if I couldnt. I hate it, it's blatantly a scam.
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I've put something on ebay for £50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a £10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.

Definitely report it. I have a disabled child and would never do this. If there is something that my child genuinely needs, and I cannot afford it, there are charities that will help fund essential, and sometimes luxury, items.
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I sold a double pram on eBay and had no less than SEVEN emails trying to get me to sell for less than half the starting price. All different boohoo sob stories about how they couldn't afford it but really needed it blah blah. Fact was it was an expensive designer pram and anyone truly in 'need' could have picked up a normal double no probs for the money they were offering.

I sold a mobile the other week and the chap who had the highest bid messaged me to say that he hadn't bid that much and eBay were mistaken and could he pay 15% less as that's all he'd wanted to bid!
    Cheeky !!!!!!, I sold it on a second chance offer to someone else.

This week I have a big item of furniture on for local pick up only and have 61 watchers on, I've had about a dozen messages all asking stupid things its been like a full time job lol
    I hate eBay sometimes!
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    csh wrote: »
    I sold a double pram on eBay and had no less than SEVEN emails trying to get me to sell for less than half the starting price. All different boohoo sob stories about how they couldn't afford it but really needed it blah blah. Fact was it was an expensive designer pram and anyone truly in 'need' could have picked up a normal double no probs for the money they were offering.

I sold a mobile the other week and the chap who had the highest bid messaged me to say that he hadn't bid that much and eBay were mistaken and could he pay 15% less as that's all he'd wanted to bid!
    Cheeky !!!!!!, I sold it on a second chance offer to someone else.

This week I have a big item of furniture on for local pick up only and have 61 watchers on, I've had about a dozen messages all asking stupid things its been like a full time job lol
    I hate eBay sometimes!

Oh yes, the watchers! When I get a large accumulation of watchers on one item, I do sometimes wonder about their stories, why they're watching, what they're thinking and when it finally ends without a bid, WHY THEY DIDN'T RUDDY BID! Lol.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure