Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• Kepp
    Kepp Posts: 4,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Does anyone know if this is a good company?

Also, does anyone understand how this site works? I'm finding their FAQ quite unhelpful! (or being a bit stupid, which is quite likely!!!)

Thanks

:D
    Debt at LBM Apr 2010 £28,767 Debt free as of Nov 2013 :j
  • Hey, yes it is a well known site iv been there a couple of times but never used it myself.

It works by you stating what you need. Then freelance people from all over bid on your statement, saying they will do it for X amount, in X amount of time. You then pick the best and proceed.

Not sure if you have to pay (but i don't think you do) but just remember that getafreelancer.com is not doing the work for you, you are hiring someone you found through them.

Hope this helps.
    Rules, Rules, Rules .....
  • what does the average bid mean?

It is a bit confusing - I'd love to hear from someone who has used it too :)
  • I've looked at this site before. The pay for what I do is appalling. I could make better money sitting on the street with a paper cup in my hand. One reason is that you're competing with people from around the world (including the developing world). Another reason is that payment is in dollars.
  • does anyone know of any other websites that are like this (but pays in £'s) that are good to have a go on?

Has anyone had any experiences with these sites?

• I have just been assigned a job and I'm really chuffed :T

I'm just wondering though how can ensure I am paid for this work at the end of it and what happens if I am not!?

Also what do I do about tax?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts, 18 months to go! :T
    Earn an extra £250 a month - £ so far......
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    I've looked at this site before. The pay for what I do is appalling. I could make better money sitting on the street with a paper cup in my hand. One reason is that you're competing with people from around the world (including the developing world). Another reason is that payment is in dollars.

You're not a Graphic Designer by any chance are you? I am, and I've just had a look at some of what's on offer! OMFG! Two days work on a few pages for a magazine – average bid working out at £25!!! I would not touch these people with a barge pole! All I can say is some people must be REALLY desperate for the extra cash!

Briona
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    does anyone know of any other websites that are like this (but pays in £'s) that are good to have a go on?

Has anyone had any experiences with these sites?

The sites I was looking at (but haven't yet signed up to) are:

http://www.freelancers.net/
    you appear to be able to bid on specific projects (under "find a project") but there's no indication of what anyone else has bid...

http://www.creativepool.co.uk/
    more use for actual jobs rather than freelancing though there are some freelance jobs on offer

http://www.viewcreatives.com/
    you can register as a freelancer and upload your portfolio to this site (click on your area of expertise under the "view creatives" heading on the left hand side to see how others have advertised themselves)

Hope that helps

Briona
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • briona wrote: »

You're not a Graphic Designer by any chance are you? I am, and I've just had a look at some of what's on offer! OMFG! Two days work on a few pages for a magazine – average bid working out at £25!!! I would not touch these people with a barge pole! All I can say is some people must be REALLY desperate for the extra cash!

Briona

As a matter of fact the money Im being offered isnt too bad and I could do with it. Just a case of writing a few 500 word articles which I can do! You specify how much you will accept to be paid so I guess if you are depserate you bid low if not you bid realistically!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts, 18 months to go! :T
    Earn an extra £250 a month - £ so far......
  • I joined this freelance site last April and although I haven't made my fortune I do earn a little extra to pay of the debts.

It is a free site and not a scam. There are many categories, from Web design to Data Entry, Copy Writing to Programming, so the work you could do would depend on your own skills. I mainly do data entry but have just started writing articles.

What you do is go to a category of work that you are interested in and look at the projects on offer. They are all paid in dollars which is double our sterling at the moment.

If you like the look of a project then click on bid, you can then write a little bit about why you should get the project over the other bidders.

Each project has it's own pricing i.e between $30-£100, $100-£300 etc

If you want you can just write "refer to PMB" and send them a private message.

The only drawback with GAF is that you are competing against countries where the cost of living is lower and they may be happy to do a large project for $30 whereas I won't. I do charge less then I would if I had a day job but I need to make it worth my time.

I have won a couple of projects that haven't been the lowest bid, I always put that I live in the UK, especially if they state they want people good at English skills.

There are other sites if you're interested but they tend to charge. This one is free to bid on.

If you are not upgraded you will be charged a project fee when you get paid for a job (about $5). Upgraded members do not pay any fees apart from the monthly upgrade fee.

Upgrade is $12, and you get about 250 bids and no fees are deducted, so it would be worth upgrading if you were getting in regular work.

If you are worried about being paid then they have an escrow system where you can ask the buyer to pay into that and you can see this from your member area, then when you have completed the work they pay it through to you.

You can get paid via paypal, moneybookers and a new system is that they have a debit card (I haven't got one of these as I like pp).

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

It is a good way of earning a little extra and it isn't one of those get paid to type scams where you have to part with money.

Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills