Store Card Discussion

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 10 June 2010 at 4:02PM in Credit cards

This thread is specifically to discuss the Store Cards article.

To reply, discuss the article or report any more introduction offers click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• I did a lot of Christmas shopping in Debenhams this time last year and was offered one of their store cards. I was very reluctant to take one, but they assured me that I could apply for a store card, but pay for my purchases on any card and still receive the 15% discount. So I applied for a store card to get the discount on my purchases, paid for them on a cashback credit card and then cancelled my store card application the following week.

I don't know if you are still able to do this, but it's worth a try!
  • The Oasis card offers you no initial opening discount, however, they do offer the following:
    • If you open an account and spend on it that day you receive a £5 welcome voucher with your card and free postage off first online spend (No minimum spend required when using the voucher either so you could get a pair of £5 earrings for example and not have to pay anything towards it!)
    • Four times a year they do minimum of 15% off in store except sale
    • Every month there is a minimum of 10% discount off selected items in store
    • Free postal service to any address
    • Free alterations
    The APR is 24.9% though. But like you say, if you pay the full amount before the bill date your not losing out!
  • Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    I've taken out a few store cards - get usually I've found 10% off the first purchase, wait 'til I'm buying something at a fair cost/a lot of stuff, then pay it off. Unless there is a continuing offer or a cardholder 'special' I never use them again. I always pay store cards off in full though.

Must have a look at Debenhams!
  • Don't know if this is old hat to MSE regulars, but I've just taken out my first ever storecard (aged 45!), to get what seems to be a great offer. If items are bought on their card, and then appear in the sales later on, you get the difference back. There's no limit on this, so you can keep on doing it even if further reductions are made later on. You need to do is take out their price protection option on the card (costs 10% of purchase price) , be methodical about keeping receipts, and wait until the prices come down, but reductions are always more than 10%, so you get your premium back and more besides. This has got to be better than trudging out to the sales and fighting over racks full of stuff!
  • can you claim back store card charges and how?
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    I have had my debenhams card for a few years. The reason why I keep it is that I find it really handy that if I am clever I can have 2 months to save the money to pay off the bill in full once it arrives. My trick is to use the card the day after the cut off day on the bill, i.e my bill is cut on the 8th every month so if I go shopping on the 9th I will have 2 months to pay the bill.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    i personally love storecards, as u get discounts/codes/sale invites with added xtra discount. Also great for when youve got no money till say next week/month but u need a new outfit for a party that day. As long as you pay them off in full, or as much as you can, when the bill arrives its cool.
  • max8579 wrote: »
    can you claim back store card charges and how?
    You don't claim back the charges, but you get back any difference between what you originally paid, and any subsequent reduction in the price. Large priced items are done automatically - your credit card account shows a credit. For smaller priced items, you take the original receipts in, and get the store to check them and put the reductions on to your account. Easy, but you need to keep an eye on the prices. Clothes and consumer electronics always come down in price quite quickly, so these are ideal fodder.
  • I bought a pair of trousers back in September and took out the insuarnce. I paid £28.00 and the price has just come down to £7.00.

I have phoned them up for a form to apply for the difference.

Is there anythin that I need to look out for and is it as easy as it sounds?
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • Hello,
    the bhs no longer sell the gold card, for the momnet, they do not have a store card to sell.
    Though, they do now have the 'thankyou card' with no statment, you get a stright 5% discount at the till without the apr or anything. This is only a temp messure before a new card is introduced.
    if anyone wants any more info, just ask :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure