Cheapest way to send parcels to Northern Ireland

Hello all

I'm a newbie, so I hope you'll forgive me if this has been covered before. I am looking for the cheapest way to send parcels to NI. Would it be cheaper to send one big box or several smaller ones pls? Post office were useless when I asked their advice! The items are non breakable, mixed shapes/sizes and there is not desperate hurry for them to arrive.

Cheers

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think that the postage goes on the weight of the package so if you ask what the charges are for different weights then you could work it out from there.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Thanks for responding Elona.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi there

I get quite a few bits and pieces from GB through the mail, prices don't seem too exhorbitant!

If you have a look at www.royalmail.com there are sections on there which cover sending parcels. Over a certain weight it'll go by ParcelForce (the same as Royal Mail only different :rolleyes: ), or if smaller, lighter packets then 2nd class would be the cheapest. I think usually it's more economical to send one big parcel rather than a number of smaller ones.

HTH

SnowyOwl
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You will sometimes find that the PO are more helpful if you take in a parcel and ask about the cheapest way to send it. But then again, some POs are a lot more friendly and helpful than others, so sometimes it pays to find a good one and go there if it's not too difficult! Although sometimes just finding one which hasn't been shut is hard enough!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, don't send your parcel with a mainland courier to hand over to Famac! They are so bad, your recipients will be lucky if the parcels arrive in 6 weeks! To give you an idea of user dissatisfaction, have a look at THIS THREAD
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    send them through royal mail, no different to sending from say london to scotland . Northern Ireland is still withing the UK. I send parcels from N Ireland to England all the time as I am selling a lot on ebay and prices for postage can be found on https://www.postoffice.co.uk
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport