Job Seekers Allowance whilst Self Employed ??

Firstly, I apologise if this is on the wrong board - for some reason I could not post on the benefits board :confused:

Anyway, my hubby is self employed but he has had only 2 days work (bringing in £190) in 8 weeks and things are getting rather tight now financially. He is actively seeking work, ie. advertising etc but the phone isn't ringing :( and it seems to be same in general locally in the construction trade.

We are not sure if he can claim job seekers allowance or any other benefit whilst he has no work - can anyone advise please ?

Many thanks in advance to those who reply.

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    He should claim working tax credits because he is in a low income.

JSA is for those actively seeking work who don't work for themselves.

HTH
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JSA contribution-based is not available to someone without sufficient NI contributions as an employee. However, if your hubby was now looking for work as an employee, I believe he could try claiming income-based JSA - obviously depending on your combined actual income and savings.
  • Anyone can claim JSA; only after the claim's been made will it be possible to determine what entitlement to payment, if any, your husband has. In my opinion it would be advisable for him to claim as soon as possible. He has nothing to lose by doing so.
  • MrsChips
    MrsChips Posts: 407 Forumite
    I'm in the same position - Self Employed and earning peanuts - approx £130 a month since about October!! That's why I'm on MSE every night !!!

This may not be useful advice but....

I called JSA & Tax Credits to see if I could claim anything but they said I was not eligable as my Boyfriends Income (£20,000) was enough for the both of us.

However they did say that if I was Single or had Children then I would be entitled to benefits, Tax Credits etc. I had to laugh... I said "OK, i'll just jump into bed with my boyfriend, get Pregnant and then Dump him... I'll call you in 9months ":rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Funnily enough my Credit Card company said the same to me today... they will pay off my Credit Card for 3 months if I get married or pregnant.

I'm missing a Trick!!
    ... I'm off to get an early night and send B/F to Elizabeth Duke i the morning!! ;)

Good Luck with your Claim :p
    2009 Savings & Winnings so far....
    Pigsback £15.06 +[strike]£40[/strike] M&S Vouchers + £20 New Look + TNS £15 Capital Bonds + Qype Ninja Goodies + £50 Virgin Voucher
    Sealed Pot Challenge #589 - Target £150
  • hmmmm never heard of this, i run my own business and take £100 a month, if that, not enough to give my parents any rent for living at the house which is my main issue.

Just wondering if i am entitled to anything? or does it go based on my fathers income as well?

thanks
  • i was advised by a long-term self-employed friend to claim working tax credits (WTC). she's writing a book, and therefore currently has no income, and she now receives about £50/week in WTC.

i'd thought WTC were for families with kids on low income, but obviously it's wider than that. i'd also thought WTC meant you got something knocked-off your tax payments - wrong again, LOL. my friend gets actual money!

i didn't qualify as my partner earns £24,000 and that's enough for two people to live on, but it sounds like if you're self-employed and not earning too much/anything, it would be worth applying
    Boyfriend & I have saved £12K in two years, thanks to careful budgeting and keeping a record of what we spend. I've never paid myself this amount of money before - it feels great!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    i was advised by a long-term self-employed friend to claim working tax credits (WTC). she's writing a book, and therefore currently has no income, and she now receives about £50/week in WTC.

i'd thought WTC were for families with kids on low income, but obviously it's wider than that. i'd also thought WTC meant you got something knocked-off your tax payments - wrong again, LOL. my friend gets actual money!

i didn't qualify as my partner earns £24,000 and that's enough for two people to live on, but it sounds like if you're self-employed and not earning too much/anything, it would be worth applying

I'm not at all sure that your friend should get WTC because she's writing a book!
  • Your husband will be able to claim JSA(IB) as long as he is prepared to look for PAYE employment and you are not working or working for less than 24 hours a week. He would need to phone the Contact Centre to make the claim. Do you have children? If you do not, you would have to be prepared to look for full time employment as well, as your claim would be a 'joint' claim. If you have children of school age, then you would not have to look for work.
  • DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i was advised by a long-term self-employed friend to claim working tax credits (WTC). she's writing a book, and therefore currently has no income, and she now receives about £50/week in WTC.

I found this by googling 'writing a book, working tax credits' and have to say I'm really surprised that your friend is claiming WTC whilst writing a book. I hadn't realised that this was possible. IS IT?!!!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    DemiDee wrote: »
    I found this by googling 'writing a book, working tax credits' and have to say I'm really surprised that your friend is claiming WTC whilst writing a book. I hadn't realised that this was possible. IS IT?!!!!

the threads a bit old is it not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport