Can my bank close my account without telling me??

Hello all,

A few months ago i switched bank from barclays to another, i still wanted to keep the barclays one open though just in case!

About a month agho i got a letter from my new bank saying the switch is complete and if i wanted them to close my old account all i had to do was sign the bit of paper they provided and send it back to them. I DIDNT DO THAT!

I wanted to keep it open so i left it, a few weeks ago i got a letter from baerclays sayign that under blah blah terms of the banks agreement they can ask me for my money to clear the overdraft at any time (it was about 15 in the minus because of a failed direct debit which didnt transfer when i switched accounts) I just thought they was asking for this as i dont have an overdraft facility and they were just clearing up their accounts with the current economic state etc.

Today i went to a cash machine and checked my balance, to see if money i have transfered from paypal had cleared - When i typed in my pin code the machine said 'Request rejected by your card provider' or something like that.

I havent had a letter from barclays to say my aco!!!! is closed, nor did i ask for it to be closed, can they close it without my permission?

What will happen to my paypal money.?!
BCT:[strike]£16,500 [/strike] £0 HFC CURRYS: [strike]£520[/strike] £0 HFC PC WORLD: [strike]£800[/strike] £0 ARGOS CARD: [strike]£795[/strike] £0 ADDITIONS DIRECT: [strike]£625[/strike] £0 NATIONWIDE CC: [strike]£1560[/strike] £0 VIRGIN CC: [strike]£1500[/strike] £0 :j

Comments

• richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    they have prob blocked your card because of unauthorised borrowing ie bounced dd
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They can close it, as you can when they want - they normally give 30 days notice.
    The message on the machine suggests you card (and possibly account) have been closed.

Why don't you move your paypal money into your new account, and sort it out without loosing any money?
    Hello all,

A few months ago i switched bank from barclays to another, i still wanted to keep the barclays one open though just in case!

About a month agho i got a letter from my new bank saying the switch is complete and if i wanted them to close my old account all i had to do was sign the bit of paper they provided and send it back to them. I DIDNT DO THAT!

I wanted to keep it open so i left it, a few weeks ago i got a letter from baerclays sayign that under blah blah terms of the banks agreement they can ask me for my money to clear the overdraft at any time (it was about 15 in the minus because of a failed direct debit which didnt transfer when i switched accounts) I just thought they was asking for this as i dont have an overdraft facility and they were just clearing up their accounts with the current economic state etc.

Today i went to a cash machine and checked my balance, to see if money i have transfered from paypal had cleared - When i typed in my pin code the machine said 'Request rejected by your card provider' or something like that.

I havent had a letter from barclays to say my aco!!!! is closed, nor did i ask for it to be closed, can they close it without my permission?

What will happen to my paypal money.?!
  • The problem is i have already transfered the money from paypal to my account. i didnt know it was shut/may be shut - what will happen to that money? Will it come back to my paypal account?
    BCT:[strike]£16,500 [/strike] £0 HFC CURRYS: [strike]£520[/strike] £0 HFC PC WORLD: [strike]£800[/strike] £0 ARGOS CARD: [strike]£795[/strike] £0 ADDITIONS DIRECT: [strike]£625[/strike] £0 NATIONWIDE CC: [strike]£1560[/strike] £0 VIRGIN CC: [strike]£1500[/strike] £0 :j
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    have you rang Barclays and checked if it is closed? you can retervie money from a closed account, my parents got money back after closing there co-op account after argos did a refund.
  • I have just rang barclays, and the account isnt shut but my branch has put a mark on the card, so i cant use it - but they wont tell me why unless i go down to the bank with ID

Considering i now live over an hour away from the branch i opened the account with and work 5 days a week 8 til 6 i seriously doubt i can do that - but they wont put me through to the branch as it is against policy.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Only way i can see you sorting it out is to leave work a bit early and go to the bank
  • You should be able to go to any Barclays branch not just the one that you opened the account with. Most are open until 12 on Saturdays. One in West London is open until 5.30 on a saturday. Try ringing up and asking for opening times in your area.
  • Now i know why i left barclays in the first place!!!!!

I now have to take time off work to go and sort out something that no one can even tell me what it is!!!
  • Could you maybe write to them? Or ask them to put it in writing to you?

I think with some accounts you have to have a certain amount of money going into your account every month in order to keep it open - that was defo the case when my bro went travelling, as he added me as a second person on the account so I could transfer money every month for him.

xx
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you maybe write to them? Or ask them to put it in writing to you?
    I agree with you. Put it in writing and send it via recorded delivery so they can't claim to have lost it. You can go to the post office on Saturday and do this.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure