Direct Debit - How does it work?

If I want to cancel, who do I have to contact; the bank or the trader?

Comments

• I've always contacted the bank; although I believe there are some that have to be cancelled by the trader.

Try the bank first.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • MickKnipfler
    MickKnipfler Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    I cancelled with the trader but they continued to charge me. They acknowledge that I cancelled my membership but say I should have cancelled with the bank
  • So cancel with the bank!:rotfl:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • MickKnipfler
    I have...but they've taken money in between....I need to know where I stand
  • if in doubt always cancel with the bank as they cant take anymore of your money that way, its a pain trying to get it back and in some cases you dont

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • MickKnipfler
    I need to know my rights though. I cancelled my subscription and have a letter from them confirming that. They say that I should have cancelled the DD though and "as a gesture of good will" are offering me 2 months refund (instear of about 13)
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I cancelled with the trader but they continued to charge me. They acknowledge that I cancelled my membership but say I should have cancelled with the bank

When a direct debit is set-up you have a direct debit guarantee. If you cancel the direct debit with the trader they should act on your request! If they do not, you should contact your bank for a refund under the guarantee. I recently did this when nPower asked me to pay a final bill - which I duly paid - but they also used a direct debit to collect the money!

The moral is, always cancel the direct debit with both the trader and the bank. If you have online banking, you can probably cancel direct debits online.
  • MickKnipfler
    I did cancel online today. They have taken 13 months payment though and have offered 2 months refund as "a gesture of goodwill"
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As Paul Varjak said, claim them back under the direct debit guarantee then! :)
  • MickKnipfler
    will do if that's my entitlement......a call to the Halifax may be in order!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure