PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

REALLY Stubborn limescale!

Comments

• MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Flylady's site recommends pumice stone for removing limescale from toilet bowls. She means when it's quite thick and looks like it could be chipped away I believe, but she says to empty the water out and use a pumice stone to gently scrub the scale away. Never tried it, but if all else fails :confused:
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Jays
    Jays Posts: 410 Forumite
    Katgoddess wrote:
    I read somewhere on here about someone who soaked toilet roll in vinegar and stuck it to the side of the toilet and left overnight. Kitchen roll would probably be easier to manage as it is larger.

Just read this thread, and this comes months later so may not be relevant - or maybe too late!!

If you use kitchen paper instead of loo roll, is there not a danger of the kitchen paper blocking the toilet when you flush it? or have you done to the messy trouble of scrapping it out before you flush?
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Harpic 100% limescale remover toilet cleaner is the best in my opinion. You could (using gloves), soak your kitchen towel in that and shove up the rim. Dont flush it down the loo. Once you have removed it, use an old toothbrush once a week to keep the limescale from forming
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    I recently came across a tip of throwing two small seashells into your kettle to stop limescalebuild up.

I'm gladto say my previous monthly soak and scrub with white vinegar is now a thing of the past!
    It works so well..

now ....do any seafaring o.stylers fancy posting me some new shells!? lol
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for that starlite, you learn something new everyday. Our water is lovely and no limescale, but moving next year to an area where we will have that problem, so taking a note of this now.
    Do you want me to pop along to the beach now and pick you up some shells?:wink:
  • starlite_2
    lol..well i grew up with good old yorkshire water so moving to london was quite a shock!

I soon learned the methods though!..

i.e once a week all the taps get wrapped in musiln soaked in vinegar overnight and then scoured..
  • diamondcatz
    diamondcatz Posts: 62 Forumite
    Apparently a coulpe of marbles does the trick:confused:
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70:j
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • starlite_2
    thanks- we tried that but we have a lightweight chrome kettle that 'revs' when boiling and they dented it all around the bottom...

speaking of kettles has anyone seen the new ones that boil to under boiling temp.. (god that makes no sense but can't think how else to describe it..lol)

they look great as boiling water can ruin good tea or cofee..and even the tiny energy saving all adds up!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    starlite wrote:
    lol..well i grew up with good old yorkshire water so moving to london was quite a shock!

I soon learned the methods though!..

i.e once a week all the taps get wrapped in musiln soaked in vinegar overnight and then scoured..

Oh stop it starlite, hadn't even thought of that - am going to have so much more housework to do! _pale_
    Never mind, will have a beach nearby too, so can always pick up some sea-shells!:D
  • hmc
    hmc Posts: 2,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hello
    am i right that the white vinegar is distilled? havnt found any labeled white.

so for cleaning dishwasher where would i put it and how much?
    same for washing machine how much and how often

and will this really do the same as calgon ir finish cleaner?

thankyou very much
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport