Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Comments

• rosscouk
    rosscouk Posts: 68 Forumite
    I agree with TiredGeek, we have a house (circa 1900) which is a mixture of solid brick walls and uninsulated cavity wall extension. I am also on oil and desperate to insulate parts of the house. The kitchen today 12c when the rest of the house is about 16.5c and the heating has been on now for about 6 hours!!
  • We recently applied for the free loft insulation grant. We applied in November but were told that the insulation could be fitted in January. Happy. Now I get a letter from the company saying that the grant has been removed.

Everything I read says the insulation should have been fitted by end December.

I've tried taking this up with the company and they say they have been let down by British Gas and its not their fault.

Is this correct or have I been mislead. If so who do I take this up with
  • Ecodave
    Ecodave Posts: 223 Forumite
    rosscouk wrote: »
    I agree with TiredGeek, we have a house (circa 1900) which is a mixture of solid brick walls and uninsulated cavity wall extension. I am also on oil and desperate to insulate parts of the house. The kitchen today 12c when the rest of the house is about 16.5c and the heating has been on now for about 6 hours!!

You should call the Energy Savings Advice Service on 03001231234, you should be entitled to grant funding under ECO for the solid wall insulation.
  • maxinex
    maxinex Posts: 52 Forumite
    Did you know you can now have a replacement boiler free of charge, it is a government/energy provider scheme. If you are a home owner or a private tenant and get certain benefits, they will replace your boiler with a more energy efficient one completely free of charge. I have had mine done, the company that approached me were eco boilers http://ecoboilers.vpweb.co.uk/ they are in manchester area but not sure if do anywhere else. Worth it to see if you qualify, i was in private rented house and on jobseekers and child tax credit. It also applies to pensioners, i have just enquired about my mums.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Our house is a thirties semi and has solid upper walls, the bottom half has a cavity and has wall insulation. The top half has render that is coming off in parts and should really be re-done.

Are there any grants to help with insulating the top half while we have the rendering sorted out. It is expensive to have the render done but we love the house and want to stay in it. Husband is almost 60 so perhaps there might be grants for older people maybe?

We have insulated the loft and boarded it out so no savings to be made there.

If anyone has any information about external insulation or grants to have it done I would be interested!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Ecodave
    Ecodave Posts: 223 Forumite
    Babyblooz, the ECO grant funding applies to anyone with solid, or hard-to-treat walls. Either call your energy company or the Energy Savings Advice Service on 0300 1231234 for more info.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Ecodave, I will call them tomorrow then. Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost for the top half of my house to be done?
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • unlucky67
    unlucky67 Posts: 117
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm despairing of these free energy deals...basically they want to only do standard easy work....the hard stuff - you struggle to find someone to do - they won't help with!
    Current house is a funny layout - a number of years ago, after looking into it, I decided best thing would be to have rafters insulated rather than have insulation on loft floor. I couldn't get a grant to help with that as non-standard or any real help choosing an installer. Used a company who did grant work (thought they must be ok) they did a terrible job, pushed rockwool up into the rafters with no ventilation - on the advice of a builder and surveyor it all had to come down...I managed to get just the cost of the insulation refunded....
    Current house has double glazing - badly fitted, extremely draughty double glazing. No one will repair it - so warped it needs replacing- but it is double glazed so any grants etc are out of the question.
    Now have a new house, refurbishing it to move into. After freezing in this house want it to be well insulated and warm.
    Would love someone to come round ( even for a small charge) to make recommendations - eg I have got the joiner to lower the ceiling on the stairs a bit - to make decorating etc easier but also cos I thought the heat would rise up there and be a bit of a waste. That was my idea - wasn't sure what to tell the joiner etc...thankfully looks ok...
    Anyway got a letter through the door about £500 cashback if you make your house more energy efficient. So just spoke to them (Energy Saving Trust - we are in Scotland) . House had original 1970's double glazing (few mm thick and patio doors were single glazed) - have had it replaced - any help with that available? - no cos it was already double glazed!
    Other job I think could do with doing is insulate under suspended floor (did it in one room in current house and did seem to make a difference) - can't find anyone who will do this for me - going to have to do it myself...but they do it - great - except they will only do it if they have a reasonable size access hatch (40cm by 40cm) -fine - but crawl space is higher than 90cm ! Again they won't do it....
    Have got someone coming to assess it for cavity wall (suspect it won't be suitable as quite exposed) but will see what they say ....and have a think about it ...have heard lots of horror stories...
    What we really need are companies who will do the hard jobs...not just ticking boxes...or financial help with the really expensive things that will make a difference to energy usage...
    Anyone can lay insulation a couple of foot thick in an empty loft ....leaving no storage area ...for not much money...
    Sorry rant over!
  • I applied for the loft insulation, as my walls are granite, got told It had been done in 2011 in the house, and that I had a energy rating of 1 and was probably living in the most energy efficient house, the bloke had ever seen, don't think so, cost a fortune to heat and is always cold
  • booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    You bought it so get over it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills